Fifteen: Athena vs. Arachne

FIFTEEN: ATHENA VS. ARACHNE

"Everyone's got good and bad in them. Up to us how we use it."

-Johnny Blaze, Ghost Rider.
____________________

COSMIC, GRETAL THINKS TO HERSELF. His dad is Cosmic. She repeats it over and over again as Beatrice and John stare at the photo and the newspaper clipping from the box. Once Oscar had dropped her off and left, she immediately ran into the warehouse, almost jumping into both Beatrice's and John's arms. To be honest, her mind understood the situation, but her heart didn't. And the more Gretal thought of it, the more she flipped out.

"Where did you get this?" John asked.

She picked at her cast. "Well, I went back to Gabe's house-"

"You did what?"

"-and I found this in Gabe's room. I think his mom put it there. I think she wanted someone to find it."

Beatrice's eyes brows furrowed in confusion. "Why?"

Gretal shrugged. "Why not? If the good guys found this, then she knew that Gabe would be in safe hands."

"And what if we - or you - didn't find it?" John raised his eyebrows.

"I guess she had a lot of hope. But now we know why she kidnapped, why they set the house on fire, why-"

"Gretal," Beatrice said gently, "we don't even know who they are. If anything, this just gives us a more reason to protect Gabe."

"That's what she wants." Gretal said slowly. "But we need to find her. This is the only clue we've gotten so far and it doesn't even relate back to her."

John nodded. "I'll have a few people from the S.I.A. come over in a few days. And Cosby won't have a say in this. Beatrice, can you go make sure Gabe's asleep?"

She nodded, quickly hugging Gretal goodbye before disappearing out of John's room. Gretal sighed, starring at the photo on John's table. "He lost his dad. And now he might lose his mom too. And all because of superheroes."

"What do you mean?"

"I know what happened to Cosmic. Well, I was there. It was quick. I was in my mom's car when it happened. All I remember was this huge boom and this really fucking bright light. Cosmic died."

John sat up in his chair, placing the photo and clipping back in the box. "If Cosmic is - was - Gabe's biological father, you know what that means, right?"

She raised an eyebrow suspiciously. "What?"

"When a superhero with powers has a family, their genes are usually more dominant. Meaning-"

"Their own children get powers too. So, what you're trying to say is that you think Gabe might have super powers?"

John nodded. "Its a chance. And his power can be anything since his genes might evolve once he's grown. And we have to do a test. If he's tested positive, Cosby will immediately take him away from here."

Gretal's eyes narrowed. "We can't let that happen."

"I know. That's why Cosby won't know. You and I will take him to get tested. I know someone in the S.I.A. that owes me a favor."