Chapter 2: Penny's past

"Penny?" said Talon with a soft voice.

"What?"

"When was the last time you saw your parents?"

"I was 5 years old at time, why?"

"Just.. just asking, out of curiosity.."

"What about you.. where are your parents?"

"Sorry pretty girl, I don't talk about my private life."

Penny's view:

He's calling me pretty girl again, I'm blushing!!! But why doesn't he want to answer? I got an idea:

"Hey Talon, If you don't, I do. Maybe that will change your mind."

"Ha Ha you can always try."

"Alright I'm gonna start. My parents were two of the best HQ agents "the Brown couple". My mother met my father in a HQ reunion; at first they were rivals, but thank to uncle Gadget they fell in love."

"And how exactly???"

"I dunno, my father has always skipped this part, while my mother has always pretended to have smelled burnt bread to skip it too."

And then we start laughing; that is the first time I feel good today. "And of course they did marry, their wedding was according to my uncle, the best ever ceremony in the HQ. After a year, I was born, but unlike ordinary kids who are in an ordinary family with ordinary parents, I didn't spend much time with my mother, she didn't take care of me a lot, and unlike fathers who love to play with their babies, my father didn't, they were always busy with their job, but I was knowing they loved me no matter what. I spent all my time with uncle Gadget, who was and still is like a father figure for me, and I didn't know they were agents who fight evil, I was always told that they're normal workers in a shop, ya know, a kid never keeps secrets. At the age of 10, when my uncle became the well-known "Inspector Gadget" I was devastated by learning the truth."

"How did their death happen?"Oh Talon you have such a cute face when you're looking at me listening attentively!! Wait, you're always cute and handsome, if only I could tell you that.

"One day, they went on a mission to which I completely ignore the plot, all I know that it was in the South Pole. As a naive little girl, I was at my uncle's house waiting my parents' arrival like always, but that day, it was getting too late, they didn't return, but I haven't lost hope, I was believing they'll be here for me as usual. I remember that as it was yesterday, I was sleeping in uncle Gadget's bed, when I heard some noise in the living room, I woke up abruptly, all happy to see them finally, until I saw Chief Quimby and my uncle's sad faces. I asked about my parents but they didn't reply, I insisted, they responded in a sorrowful way: Your parents won't return. This injury still remain painful until now." Tears flow from my eyes..

"I'm sorry for you Penny."

I look at him with a smile. "What about you? Did my story change your mind?"

"Alright, alright, you won, I'm gonna talk about myself, but I'm warning you, it is not a 'happily ever after story', ok?"

"Mine wasn't happy either."

"It's even worse.."

I would like to thank any user who has left a vote, a comment or even a small look at this story, and a special thank to all who followed me. And to you Star Musica!