Playground

Ao3 // not mine

this is late but aaood is back like omfg its back.

~~~~~~~~~~~

I got a heart and I got a soul
Believe me I will use them both

"I'm Niall." an unfamiliar voice startled Liam, making him jump. He turned around to see a blonde lad, no more then 17 years old, standing a few feet away from him.

"Hi... I'm Liam. You must be my roommate?" Liam asked.

"Yeah I suppose so, it's nice to meet you, Liam." Niall said, sticking his hand out to shake Liam's.

"You too, Niall." Liam said, shaking Niall's hand and going back to unpacking his suitcase.

There was an awkward silence for a few minutes.

"Since we're roommates we should get to know each other." Niall said, breaking the silence.

"Well what do you wanna know?" Liam asked him, turning around to face Niall, who was sitting on the edge of his bed. Niall's question came as a bit of a shock as not many people were ever interested in getting to know him.

Niall shrugged. "How old are you?" he asked.

"16, gonna be 17 next month. What about you?" Liam replied.

"I'm going to be 17 on September 13th. Where are you from?" Niall asked.

"Wolverhampton, you?" Liam chuckled at Niall's change in question.

Mullingar, Ireland. What else do you like to do besides singing?" Niall fired back.

"What is this? a game of 20 questions?" Liam smirked.

"It's just a quickfire way for us to get to know each other." Niall smiled at him.

"Well in that case, I like to run and play a little football in my free time, what about you?" Liam said, smiling back at him.

"I like to play my guitar and go down to the pub with friends. " Niall asked.

"I always wanted to learn how to play the guitar." Liam said, his eyes widening.

"I can teach you if you want?" Niall offered.

"That would be great, thanks!" Liam said.

Niall smiled at Liam, thinking that this was the start to a beautiful friendship.

We made a start
Be it a false one, I know
Baby, I don't want to feel alone

Liam and Niall got through to judges houses, but there was a catch. They'd have to compete as a group with three other boys for the rest of the competition.

"What's wrong, Liam?" Niall asked his friend the night they were put into the group. This was their last night sharing a room just the two of them before they had a short break to practice for the judge's houses stage of the competition. Niall was chatting up all his friends from Mullingar on his cell phone when he saw Liam sitting on the edge of his bed looking at the ground.

"I don't know if this group thing is such a great idea." Liam told him, sighing and looking him straight in the eye.

Niall's heart sank, he was a little nervous he must admit, but he loved the idea of being in the band. At least it was better than returning to Mullingar having failed to make it to the next round of the competition. He didn't know the other three boys yet, but he knew they would all become best friends in no time. Niall sat down next to Liam, putting an arm around him.