Chapter 6: Moon

Chapter 6

Season 3 Episode 22

I was lying on my bed staring at the ceiling. Thinking about my girlfriend, Rikki. Check that – EX-girlfriend. Shouldn't I be the one mad at her overreaction? I should be trying to get over her. No matter what I had been doing over the last few weeks nothing had changed. I still loved her. I still felt guilty. I knew it was all my fault. I got up and looked at the calendar. I had a meeting the next day. I sighed again. Running the café was a lot harder without Rikki. Sophie was a hard worker but it just wasn't the same. Nothing was the same without my fiery mermaid.

I noticed that it was a full moon today. I grabbed my stuff for work. Did Rikki know? She probably did. Would she need help? Full moons nearly always ended in disaster. I felt the burning need to call her. I missed her voice. As pitiful as it may seem, I used the full moon as an excuse to call her. Maybe she would need my help again and I could win her trust back? I walked out of my house, locking the door behind me. Before I knew what had come over me, I was dialling her number.

"Hello?" I heard her answer. My heart began racing.

"Hey Rikki, I just wanted to check it you knew it was a full moon today," I said quickly, the words tumbling out. She knew it was me instantly.

"Yeah, Zane, I know it's a full moon,"

"Do you need any help?" I was surprised she had not hung up already.

"No, no I don't need help, thanks. Bye." Before I could reply she was gone. Well, that was short lived. I should have known. It did feel nice to hear her voice. I noticed that she did not have an angry tone – just an exasperated one. That was progress! But the way she blew me off – it made me feel upset. She wasn't going to even give me a chance.

I had a frown on my face when I walked into my café. Rikki's café.

"What's up?" Sophie asked when I arrived.

"Nothing." I replied shortly. Somehow she knew what was wrong.

"Rikki?" she questioned. I stopped and turned to her. "What happened?"

I looked at my phone. "Nothing," I replied, defeat evident in my voice.

"You need to move on," she said.

"Yeah, right," I said quietly. I had been trying to banish the thoughts of the amazing, beautiful and funny girl I loved, but to no avail. I guessed I could keep trying. It was clear she didn't want anything to do with me. But then again, she didn't sound angry. I was of two minds.

"Maybe we could do something together tonight," she suggested. I looked away. I was not interested in the least. How did I deal with this? I guessed it wouldn't hurt.

"Yeah, maybe," I replied, going into my office.

OoOoO

Throughout the day, I was constantly distracted by thoughts about the moon and Rikki. I was never this protective when we were together. What had changed? I guess you just don't always realise what you have until it is gone.

Sophie approached me again later in the day.

"So, what do you fancy doing tonight?"

"Oh, ah, um, whatever?" I replied. To be honest I hadn't been thinking about it.

"Maybe a meal, maybe a movie, it's a good chance for us to get together away from here,"

"What time are we talking?" I asked.

"I was thinking straight after closing," she answered.

I looked at my watch. I needed to check if Rikki would be alright before I committed to something.