Chapter 7: Jealousy

Chapter 7

Season 3 Episode 23

Rikki left the shop and began to walk down the beach front. She must have gone once school had finished. I wondered about the beach party. What were we to each other? We were on speaking terms again but she hadn't made it clear whether we were friends or not. I figured, what was the harm in asking her to go with me. I jogged to catch up with her.

"So," I began, "What time do I pick you up?"

I decided to go for the indirect approach. She gave me a questioning look.

"The big beach party! You're going to let me take you aren't you?" I asked. Maybe that could have come out better.

"Why on earth would I do that?" she asked in disbelief.

"I want us to be friends." I stated confidently. Going as friends would be okay right?

"Yeah, right," she said, eyebrows raised.

"Well, we were together for most of your last years of school, so I think there is something right about us being together for this," I explained. It sounded completely logical to me.

"I don't," she said bluntly. My heart sank. She wanted nothing to do with me.

"You can't go by yourself!" I retorted.

"Who said I am?" she replied. I felt disappointment and jealousy begin to flood through me. She had found someone else already?

"Wait, you're going with someone?" I asked, trying to continue with confidence.

"It's actually none of your business," she said, matter-of-factly.

"Seriously, who is it?" I queried.

"Seriously, it's none of your business," she mocked with that smirk of hers. She could be incredibly frustrating sometimes. I stopped walking and stared after her. Was she blowing me off by making an excuse? Or was she really going with someone?

I put my hands in my pockets and distractedly walked back to the café.

I thought about it off and on all afternoon. Who would she be taking? The only person other than me that she had shown interest in was Will. Just thinking of the two of them together made my chest burn. I seriously needed to get my jealousy in check. She couldn't be moving on that quickly right?

Sophie came into the office.

"I thought you were going to help me with these accounts?" she said. Oh yeah, I had forgotten about that.

"Rikki's taking a date to a party," I said, telling her my thoughts. "And I bet it's your brother."

She nodded and said, "Good."

Did I hear that correctly? It was the opposite of good!

"No, it's not," I said in disbelief. I looked back at my phone.

"What do you think about Zane's as a name for this place – it works," she said, changing the subject. I frowned.

"So does Rikki's," I replied. I had named it after her for a reason. There was a moment's silence.

"She's moving on!" Sophie said abruptly. I looked at her sharply.

"That's what going on a date means," she continued. I looked at her, mouth open. I was still in denial. I could tell she still loved me. I wouldn't give up.

"Well, maybe she's just going to make me jealous," I replied, hopefully. She stared at me.

"And if you're wrong?"