Chapter 12: Opening Up

Chapter 12

Over the next week, I continued to look into what Rikki could do to become a treasure hunter, trying to find ways that wouldn't accidentally reveal what she was.

Oh, a contractor! Rikki could be a self-employed contractor. She could get her permit for retrieving treasures or salvage from the sea, and then register as a 'legal entity' - a business. Then she would be able to be hired to retrieve stuff from the sea and only take as much work as she wanted. At first, she could offer cheap finders fees to find more jobs or take on 'cold cases' (where no one had found or been able to retrieve the item) to gain notability and customers. If she bought the equipment, no one would think twice about how she retrieved the items.

I was starting to feel excited on her behalf.

I should probably get back to focusing on my own future. I reopened the tabs of my possibilities. On the Griffith University website, I searched for 'Bachelor of Business.' I hoped I had the entry requirements. Dad had made sure I stayed in school for Year 12 as much as I had wanted to leave. I went to a different school to the girls, but at least I didn't have to go back to the boarding school.

I clicked into the right page and scrolled down.

Okay, I needed an ATAR (OP) of 63.15.

Whew, my ATAR was 64. I had just scraped in.

I breathed a sigh of relief. I don't have to do a bridging course.

Oh, that was interesting – the course, even full-time studying, was offered online. And, the management major was one of the ones offered online. That would probably be perfect – much easier to manage study and working at the café. It really was a pity that Dad wouldn't let me just get a diploma or certificate.

I would have to ask Dad if I could study online, or whether he wanted me to go to the physical classes at the Gold Coast campus. Once I had that answer, I would be able to apply. Crazy. Zane Bennett would be going to university.

OoOoO

Dad wanted me to go to the physical campus. It apparently is "important to make connections with people you may do business with in the future." He said that we could hire a full time manager, and I could work in the weekends. That would definitely make it easier. I would ride my motorbike to the campus for classes.

I put the finishing touches on my application – making sure the contact details on the electronic form were correct. There. I hit complete. All sent off.

I needed to clear my head – take a break from future planning. I decided to head down to the beach for an afternoon walk.

OoOoO

As I walked down the boardwalk, I looked out to the sea.

I wonder if Rikki is out there, swimming with the dolphins. It would be so cool to experience.

My smile turned into a frown as I remembered how I had treated Rikki not so long ago.

I broke her trust in so many ways. I had stooped so low as to suggest that I would sell out her secret – if she didn't do what I wanted. I wouldn't have done it really, but that wasn't the point. I used it against her. A secret knowledge that only a few people shared with the girls. I was probably the only one who knew, aside from people like Denman, who had threatened to oust them.

I sighed.

It's just a pity that I didn't learn from my mistakes as or before I made them. At least I know better now.

I kept walking along the path. A red shirt caught my eye.

My heart started thumping and I stopped suddenly as I noticed who it was.