Hurt

~When Amaya betrays the ninja/when Amaya returns to the ninja~

*That morning*

"Good morning, Amaya," Cole waved.

"Good morning!" Amaya replied cheerfully.

"How are you?" Cole asked.

"Very well," she smiled. "Hey, Cole, can I ask you something?"

"Sure!"

"You and I are good friends right?" She asked turning serious.

"Of course!" Cole laughed. He actually really liked her. If he wasn't a ghost then he would've asked her out by now.

"And we always will be right?" She asked frowning.

"Yes," Cole smiled. He wondered why Amaya was asking him this.

"Great!" She smiled and walked away.

Cole watched her walk away. That was a very peculiar encounter. He wondered what was going on in her head.

********************************

*Thats afternoon*

Cole felt like a dagger had pierced his heart. He tried to grab the nearby table but his hand went through it and he fell.

"Cole," Nya said kneeling beside him.

He didn't answer her. He just stared straight ahead. Nya looked at him in alarm.

"Cole!" She yelled.

"I'm fine," Cole said waving her away quickly.

Cole stood up and walked to Lloyd. Lloyd's anger was almost tangible in the air. Cole looked towards the spot where the portal had closed.

'How could she do this,' Cole thought in anguish. 'Is this what that conversation was about this morning? Why would she crush me?'

Cole felt the pain rip through his body. He had really liked Amaya. He even thought he had fallen in love with her and now she was gone. Gone. A traitor. Was he not enough for her?

***********************************

~The night that Amaya returns with Devron~

Cole walked sleepily to the front door. Why would someone be coming at this time of night. He also wondered why he, as ghost, slept. He didn't have to sleep did he? He shrugged and walked outside towards the closed gate. He opened it and his eyes widened in shock.

"Amaya?"

"Hello Cole," she said smiling wearily at him.

Cole just stared at her shocked. Lloyd came up and began to talk to her. What was Amaya doing here?

********************************

~The day after~

"Hello, Cole," a female voice said behind him.

Cole yelped in surprise and dropped the plate he was carrying. He knew the voice but just wasn't used to hearing it. It had been a long time.

"I didn't mean to scare you," Amaya said bending down to help pick up the glass shards.

"Careful!" Cole yelped. "You're going to cut yourself!"

"I think I'll be fine," she said picking up the pieces carefully."

"I'll pick it up," Cole said bending over. He tried to shoo her hand away.

"I feel like this plate," Amya sighed.

Cole looked up at her startled. He had talked to her last night some, but she hadn't been in the mood for reasoning with. She was very upset with herself and he didn't think that would go away anytime soon.

"I'm sorry I was so short with you last night," Amaya said. She leaned back and sat with her legs folded underneath her.

"It's understandable," Cole said sitting back as well. He bent one knee up and rested his arm on it. "Now, what's the plate analogy for?"

"I don't really know," she shrugged. She looked up and her eyes pierced into Cole's eyes. "I hurt you and everyone else very badly."

"Yes you did," Cole said nodding. "I'm not going to lie and say you didn't."

Amaya raised an eyebrow at him. She opened her mouth as if to say something but Cole held up a hand.

"But there is one thing you have to know about us," Cole continued. "Our job is to save people from evil."

"Yes?" Amaya said in a confused tone. She didn't know where this was going.

"And in some cases," Cole said. "Our job includes saving people from themselves."

Amaya's eyes lit up with understanding. "So, you mean, you save evil people from themselves sometimes?"

"Yes, and if we held onto what certain people have done to us in the past, then how are they to move on if that's where they are stuck," Cole added.

"But," Amaya said, "what about those who have hurt you too much."

"That part doesn't matter," Cole said shaking his head. "Because that doesn't apply to you."

Amaya's eyes began to brim with tears. She flew forward and hugged Cole tightly. He looked startled but then hugged her back.

"Thankyou for giving me another chance," she whispered.