Chapter 5: "I'm calling for Alana Smith"

(A/N: Hellooooo C: I just wanted to say thank you for everything! This story isn’t very popular yet, but if you’ve voted a chapter, commented, etc., I just want to thank you! Also, follow me on Twitter: @5SOSRockMeh! Thank youuu! Ilysm)

The week was up and still no job offer came in. The only place who hasn’t responded at all was Medusa Greek Taverna.

I am beginning to lose hope. I really am. I keep on having nightmares that the boys will kick us out and that Cory and I will end up homeless and then eventually we’ll die of starvation.

I had about as much hope as I make money and right now, that’s zero. I went into panic mode as the thought of Cory and I scraping dumpsters fell into my mind. I couldn’t let that happen. Death was better than suffering.

All I’ve been doing for the past few years though is suffer yet I’m still here. Why? Because of the little boy called Cory sitting on my lap and of course my very small hope for the future.

I stared across the room vacantly, but I didn’t notice until Calum asked me a question which he repeated several times. “What?” I asked blankly.

“Calum was asking if you and Cory wanted to go to the beach today.” Ashton said chewing his grub happily.

At the word “beach” I tensed up. Beach meant water and water meant ocean which meant no good. My eyes went wide and I looked franticly around the room. My breathing became quick and my heart pounded against my chest. I felt like I was drowning. Literally. I was gasping for air and my anxiety was swallowing me.

I hadn’t had a panic attack like this in a long time. I didn’t like it.

Luke was at my side holding my hand. Some might take this as a romantic gesture, but it was only friendly.

Cory was crying on my lap and Ashton scooped him up. “Okay! Let’s not go to the beach let’s go…” I tuned Calum out. I needed to focus on myself for a moment and get myself back under control. I gritted my teeth and forced myself to pull it together.

“No, take Cory to the beach. Um, I have things to do.” I told them.

Ashton nodded slowly. “C’mon Calum. Let’s go, uh, get ready.”

Ashton walked away with Cory balanced on his hip. Calum lingered a while longer. He said, “I don’t know what I said, but I’m really sorry and—“

“Calum,” I chuckled, “It’s fine. I just—uh—had a bad experience with the, um, the ocean.”

“Oh, well, I still am sorry.”

“Don’t be sorry. My head is just messed up a bit.” I said forcing a laugh.

Calum chuckled then followed Ashton down the hall.

I looked down at my hand which was entwined with Luke’s. I let go of his and slowly looked up to meet his blue orbs. I was expecting him to ask for some huge explanation but all he said was, “What the hell was that?”

I laughed a bit. “Let’s just say I have a fear of the ocean and everything in it.”

He nodded.

“Now go get ready, you’re going to the beach.” I said swatting his shoulder.  

“Not me. Not today.”

“Luke, you can’t go with me.”

“Yes I can. What’s so secretive about you going out anyway?”

“Nothing.” I said looking down at my hands. I was not just about to tell him that no one wanted to hire me.

He lifted my chin so he could look into my eyes. “C’mon Alana, what’s going on?”

I stared at him for a moment. Then I spilled my guts. “I can’t find a job Luke. No one wants me. The only place who hasn’t contacted me is Medusa Greek Taverna and that’s where I’m going. I am going to double check to see if the job opening is still available. Dammit, Luke! I wasn’t going to tell anyone! See what you’ve made me do?”

He was laughing.

“Luke, this isn’t the time to laugh! This is serious! S-E-R-I-O-U-S! Stop it—“ Then my cell phone wrung in my pocket.

I pulled it out and checked the caller I.D. The area code was from here in Sydney. “Hello?” I said cautiously.

“Hi, I’m calling for Alana Smith.” Said a woman with a very business-like voice.

“This is she.”

“Oh, hello Alana. This is the manager of Medusa Greek Taverna.

My stomach felt like it was going to come right out of my mouth. “Hello.”

“I’m calling to tell you that after reviewing your application that I would like to say that you show a lot of promise.”

“Thank you.” Why couldn’t I get more than two syllables out of my mouth!?

“But unfortunately for you, we’re looking for someone with more experience here at Medusa Greek Taverna. I’m very sorry Alana. I would have liked to interview you, but the position has already been filled.”

“Oh, um, t—that’s okay. I don’t think it would have worked out anyway.”

“Well that’s great! Bye Alana!” I heard the phone click off on the other end.

“Bye…” I dropped my hand to my lap.

“Shit.” I said disappointed.