Chapter 13: "Can I talk to you?"

My first day of work arrived and I was quite surprised to find out that working in a café isn’t all that hard. It was pretty laid back.

Alice, my boss, trained me on how to make the drinks and how to use the machines. I’m pretty sure I messed up a few peoples orders, but what can I say? It was my first day and plus, the people didn’t seem to mind.

The most exciting thing that happened was Luke bringing Cory during my lunch break. I’m not saying that my new job is boring; I’m just saying that there isn’t much to do. People came in, ordered a cup of coffee, then went to go sit down and read or pull out their laptop to browse the internet. I was getting paid minimum wage (or $A120 dollars a day, working eight hours), to do an easy job, so no complaining for me!

There is another girl, Nicole, who comes in at noon and stays until closing. So far, she seems sweet. I’m not sure, but I think she is around my age.

Nicole has light auburn hair and hazel eyes, which turn gold in the sunlight. Up close, you can see that she has a dusting of freckles across her nose. She’s quite short too. Well, at least to me. Nicole is probably a good four inches shorter than me, but that just made her even cuter. 

“So how long have you been working at Café?” Oh, I forgot to mention that the café is called Café.

“Well,” she said sorting the coffee cups, “I’ve been working here since the beginning of summer. All I planned for this to be was a summer job, but Alice has been so good to me, I might just keep it though my senior year and then after that, I’ll see where life takes me.”

So she was a year older than me.

“That’s cool.”

“Yeah.” She agreed with a smile.

I let her get back to work, and did my own job washing the windows and scrubbing the table counters. Three o’clock came too quickly, and I found myself staying over my time to finish dusting the mantle of the fireplace. Kind of ironic to have a fireplace here in Sydney, but it gave the place a cozy feel.

I signed out and said goodbye to Alice. I would have said a goodbye to Nicole also, but she was helping a customer. She waved at me on my way out and I did the same.

When I told Luke that the café was a block away from the house, I wasn’t lying. Literally, you walk up the street and there you are. I pushed open the door and walked inside. My bag fell off my shoulder and onto the floor, but I didn’t really care. I wanted to sit down.

I lifted my feet up the stairs until I came to Luke’s room. I wanted to change out of my jeans and into something comfy.

As I turned the corner into Luke’s room, I saw he had my luggage on his bed and he was moving my things. “Um, what are you doing?” I asked him.

Luke jumped and turned to face me. “God, Alana! Way to scare me.”