Chapter 2

(Picture of Maddie)

I hadn't expected anything particular to happen and when it did I was left wishing nothing ever had happened over and over again. When we got home someone was already waiting for us there. And let's just say I could have lived without ever having to see him again.

I opened the door and there he was. Sitting on the couch was my "dear old dad". Maddie, being Maddie, immediately pushed in front of me and squealed," Daddy!!!"

He laughed and picked her up effortlessly spinning her around happily," Hi, sweetie!"

He was still grinning when I looked at him and and we both frowned a bit," What are you doing here, Dad?"

He put Maddie down," Hello, Rose, I have some news to tell you girls."

I just stared at him and after a moment of silence he turned to Brooke ," Are you Rosalia's friend?"

Brooke nodded and answered," I'm her best friend."

He simply nodded," Anyways...why don't you start dinner, Rose, and then I can tell you the news."

I also simply nodded and he went to his old room.

I turned to Brooke and looked apologetic," If you want to go or-"

Brooke shook her head," It's fine, Rose...unless you would like me to go...?"

I thought about it for a second and realized I didn't want her to. I had a feeling that whatever Dad had to say I wouldn't like it and I would appreciate having the extra support," No you can stay."

And that was that as we all went to the kitchen while I made dinner and Brooke even helped.

By the time dinner was ready Dad joined us and Maddie started the conversation off by telling Dad all about her day to which he seemed to enjoy but I was still dreading the news he would be telling us after dinner.

Dinner seemed to pass by extra slow and by the time everyone finished Dad sent Maddie to her room and told me to sit down. I looked at Brooke and asked her to please keep Maddie company while I talked to my Dad and she did.

He looked at me with his dull green eyes and sighed," Rose, I know I haven't always been the best father but-"

"You haven't been a father at all," I retorted bluntly.

His eyes flashed with immense pain and guilt," Now, Rose-"

I glared at him," Look, Dad, just say what you have to say and then leave. I really don't care."

He nodded stiffly," Very well then."

He opened his mouth to speak but then stopped as though he didn't know what to say.

Finally he simply blurted out," I got married."

My eyes went wide," What?"

"Now look, Rose, you have to let me explain-"he tried to say.

"No! " I yelled," Mom barely passed away a year ago and you already remarried!"

"It's more complicated than that-" he pleaded.

But I didn't want to hear it," Was that all? Because I don't really care anymore."

He rolled his eyes," No that's not all."

I raised an eyebrow," Well then?"

He sighed and said," Look, sweetie-"

"Don't call me that!"