Chapter 21

The next couple of months were spent trying to adjust back to my old life...or at least the old life that began when I came here 5 months ago. Christine slowly adjusted me into my lessons of diplomacy, manners, dancing, and so on. Dad let me join him on his rounds of the kingdom and we traveled throughout the kingdom to make sure the people were happy. Nathan let me help him with the social services program. I also made it a point of making time for Maddie, and we would play or walk or do something together.

All of this took my attention away from my worries for a good amount of the time. Occasionally I would fall back into fresh memories or I would receive news from Thaledith that would cause brand new worry or I would find myself missing the easy and happy life I experienced in Amberfield and refused to forget.

It was mid-April and the weather was finally starting to warm up again and I had a feeling that Christine was beginning to plan my 21 birthday party. She was being discreet about it, of course, but it was hardly a surprise. She'd done the same for Maddie, so it wasn't surprising that she would do the same for me.

The truth was that I wasn't much of a party person. Christine and Dad probably meant well and were most likely trying to get my mind off of everything, but my heart wasn't in it.

What I really wanted for my birthday was to have one more moment with Andrew, where things were back to how they were, and then I would finally be able to let him go. It was too much to hope for, and for the time being I would make an effort to appreciate their intentions either way.

I made my way to the library only to find Nathan pouring over a stack of books. I smiled and made my way over to him and he jumped startled before smiling back," Hello, little sister, what's up?"

I rolled my eyes but kept smiling," Nothing, big brother, but what are you doing?"

" I'm trying to finish some paperwork, but it's taking forever..." he said letting out a tired sigh.

"How long do you have to do it?" I asked curiously.

"A while but I'm trying to finish it early," he said casually.

I gave him a look but decided to not say anything," Okay, well have fun... I'm going to go get some books..."

He nodded and went back to his work. I looked around the library and finally found 3 books that looked interesting and settled myself in front of one of the window seats. I must have dozed off because Nathan ended up waking me up for dinner and we both headed downstairs.

When we sat sat at our seats and were served our food Christine burst into the dining room happily and beamed at me.

I looked at her confused," What?"

She giggled and in a sing song voice said," Guess what."

I gave her a look," Just tell me."

She pouted and said," Oh, Sweetie, you're no fun at all!"

I laughed," I'm sorry?"

She waved me off and handed me a pretty peach and gold invitation which read:

You are cordially invited to attend the 21st birthday of

Princess Rosalia Sophia Margareta Castilho

on Saturday the 14 of May

At the Royal Palace of Abalicia

at 3 o'clock in the afternoon

We look forward to seeing you there!