Chapter 2

A/N: When in Riley's point of view, Sabrina and Carlie will be referred by their names OTHER than in DIALOGUE when Riley refers to them both as 'Mom' so you guys don't get confused with which one she's talking about.

Riley's POV

Carlie and I walk into a coffee shop. There's a small and awkward pause as we sit down. We were in one of those coffee shops that looked like a living room in a stereotypical white person's house in suburbia. It smelled like coffee and sweets. I suppose this was the best setting to do this in.

 I suppose this was the best setting to do this in

"I thought you did really great in your show." Carlie finally says, breaking the silence.

I smile, "Thanks, Mom."

"That boy you sang with was really good too. What's his name?"

"Jack. He's a really good friend of mine. The showcase is actually how we became friends. He heard me sing in music class one day and came up to me and asked me to sing in the show with him and...yeah."

Carlie nods, "You guys had such great chemistry on stage. I almost wondered if he were your boyfriend."

I feel my face heat up. I look down and rub my arm before giving an awkward laugh.

"Yeah, that's not really my thing..."

"Soo, are you...?"

"I'm gay."

Carlie nods, "Sorry if that came out weird. I just never heard anything of you coming out. Last time we talked, I kind of got the idea you didn't want anything to really do with me, so I didn't read about you on social media or anything. I didn't know you were dating anyone until that night at the school. How long have you and Max been together?"

"Uh...well, it honestly started the first couple days of school and it was before I officially came out, so...about four months."

"Wow. Well she seemed like a very nice girl."

"She is. And she gets along really well with everyone so that's a good thing. In fact, she's gonna be staying with us a while."

"Really? Why?"

"Well, long story short...her dad is dead, her older brother is out of the picture and her mom is an alcoholic."

"Oh my God."

"Yeah, so her mom is gonna go to rehab and Max is gonna stay with us until early March."

"Wow. That's really amazing of your parents to do."

"Yeah, I think so too."

There's a pause.

"So what have you been doing since you were found innocent?" I ask.

"Oh. Mostly working. Not many people will hire someone with a prison record like mine, but I'm managing."

"But doesn't it say you were found innocent?"