Broken, Part 1

This was going to be one whole chapter, but guess what happened?

I got carried away.

Yep, something happened that I didn't intend for. I started writing and realized that a character was going in a completely different direction than I thought they would. But it felt right and I went with it. So now Broken is being split into two separate parts. Enjoy!

Kai's P.O.V.

Alone in my room, I wait for death.

They dragged me away from Lloyd. I fought, kicked, bit, but Nya and Skylor were determined. Halfway through Nya broke down in tears but Skylor kept going, dragging me until we got to my bedroom and pushing me up onto my bed. I have to do something. I have to kill Cole. I can't move. 

"I know the feeling." Someone says. I start, but then realize it's my sister. She is sitting on the end of my bed.

"What?"

"Just wanting to die." She pauses, looking at me for a moment. "You've lost hope."

"And you still have it. Good for you! Doesn't change the fact that Zane and Pixal and and Cole's dad and Lloyd are dead and we're next."

Nya swallows, staring into my eyes. "Do you remember when Cole turned into a ghost?"

"How could I forget?" I say. "Don't talk about Cole."

"He told me his life was over, he was useless. He lost hope too."

"I wonder how this ends?"

"But his life wasn't over. Yours isn't either. We still have a chance of survival, Kai. You can't just give up! You're the person that taught me to keep going even when things were hard! You didn't back down when our parents died and you won't now, either. You are a fighter. You are going to fight." Nya says. My sister. I couldn't protect Lloyd. I can't save her, either.

"When Cole didn't give up he became a demon. Maybe it's better if we all die."

"You sound like him." I ignore her stinging words. "Cole was the passive one. You actually care."

I could sit up right now. Grab my sword, turn into a being of fire. Do something. Be the person I truly am. But when I look inside myself to find the flames that once burned brightly, I find only ashes.

Nothing.

I roll over, turning away from Nya. "Not anymore." I mutter.

"Maybe Cole will kill Skylor, and you, and Jay. Maybe then he will kill me. But I promise you, Kai Smith, I will fight him until the end. I'll just have to bear the torch of your fire." Nya says angrily. Her voice gets the sharp edge that only happens when she has her mind set on something. "I will never give in to Cole, no matter how many notes he leaves or people he kills. Because I have something worth living for." She's halfway out the door, her neck turned to look at me. "I guess that's where we're different."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Skylor's P.O.V.

Cole is going down.

I may not have been a ninja for very long, and I may be intruding on the original team's "togetherness", but nobody messes with me and gets away with it. Kai has let us down. As far as I'm concerned, our group is down to three. Maybe two and a half, because neither Jay or Nya seems whole. They have never experienced death like this and they aren't dealing with it well. But I have. I have all my life. I've killed more than I like to admit and Cole is just going to be another on that long list.

I am not a nice person. I'm not kind, and I focus on my mind, not my heart. My own protection comes first. I will save my own neck, and hopefully save the others in the process. But until then, I am first priority. I know it's cold, but this is the way to survive.

"Cole is going to die." I tell Nya and Jay. We are in the infirmary. None of us have been back in here for a few days. Jay is staring at the note on the wall, A dream is a wish your heart makes. Nya is staring at the dagger in her hand. It describes them. Jay, words. Nya, actions. The picture is satisfying until Nya breaks it by looking at me. Instead of asking how I plan to make this happen, or praising me for my bravery, she says something I don't expect.

"Why does he have to die?" What?

"Nya, he's killed four people. He has a sick obsession with you and he's possessed by a demon."

"Exactly. I had time to think. What if it's the demon doing this, not Cole? What if we can talk sense into him instead of stooping to his level and murdering? It's not Cole's fault his body got stolen!" Nya says. I can only stare at her with shock. Only a day before Nya had been saying that Cole was a heartless monster. Now she's defending him and suggesting we have a heart-to-heart chat ?

"You want me to-spare Cole? Have mercy?" I ask incredulously. "Nya, he's gone. Do you miss him?"

Nya takes awhile to answer. "We didn't kill Lloyd when Morro possessed him. How is Cole any different?"

"Lloyd didn't murder anybody. And he didn't target one person, trying to force them to fall in love with him, and then who knows what else, like Cole is doing to YOU!" Jay says. He hadn't said anything for a long time. I was starting to wonder if he'd gone mute.

"We don't have time for mercy, Nya. Cole used to be your friend, he isn't anymore. You of all people should know that. And whatever he does, he does willingly. What happened to the Nya that would do anything to protect her friends, even if it meant killing Cole? Where is she?" I say impatiently.

"Cole is my friend. The demon isn't. Kill the demon, not Cole." Nya says. She glares at both Jay and I, as if challenging us to disagree.

"WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?" Jay suddenly screams. His face is so close to Nya's I think I can see her hair being blown back. Then Jay runs out of the room, not completely in control of himself. If he gets through this alive he will need mental help. Nya blinks, and a single tear escapes her eye before she hastily wipes it away.

"I won't promise that Cole will live. But I do promise that this will end tonight." My voice has lowered into the deep and dangerous tone I used to speak in all the time, in my evil days. It makes a reappearance every now and then, and this is one of those necessary times. Then, without another word, I turn on my heel and leave the room. My ponytail flips. It's time to get my knives.

Nya is left alone, her mouth half open as if about to say something else that I will never hear.