Fourteen

***I double uploaded, so read chapter 13 before this one!***

Fourteen

“I’d like to speak to you alone, Zoe, if you don’t mind,” Daddy said.  He wasn’t looking at me, though, but at Lee.  Both of us jumped when he spoke, spinning around to look at him. 

“Daddy, what…?”

He didn’t let me finish, though, cutting me off.  “Zoe, no.  Lee, if you would leave.  Now.” 

Lee turned to look at me for a moment before he stood, heading past Daddy to go out the door.  Daddy was tense as he did, closing the door behind him.

“Zoe, explain to me what is going on with you.  Do you think that I didn’t hear any of what you were just talking about with that boy?”

“Do you have to call him ‘that boy?’” I asked, narrowing my eyes at him.  “Daddy, he’s hardly a boy.”

“He’s only eighteen years old.  I would definitely say he was a boy compared to the rest of us,” he said.  “And I do not like the way you two have been acting toward each other…”

“Seriously?” I asked, jumping up from my place on my bed.  “Is this what you’re upset about?  That we spent time together without anyone with us?  I think you’re acting worse than when he felt certain feelings toward Momma.”

“Yes, because those feelings for her went away the moment he met you,” Daddy said through his teeth.  “I don’t want you…”

“Why don’t you like him?” I cried.  “Because I like him.  I like him more than you probably think I do.”

He wasn’t taking that, though, shaking his head like I was just acting like a child.  “Zoe, you don’t know what you’re talking about…”

“Yes, I do!” I said, walking toward him.  “You used to tell me stories about how you felt the first time you saw Momma and everything you still feel for her.  She told me the same about you.  I know the stories of the pairs that the Fates destined each other for, what those feelings are they feel for each other.  I know that you and Momma are one.  Who’s to say that I don’t have one of those, too?”

Daddy scoffed.  “And you believe that this boy is to you the same as your mother is to me?”

“And what if I was to tell you yes?”

He was quiet.  I could tell that what I was saying was definitely getting to him as he watched me.  He looked like he knew what was going on with me.  Maybe he’d known for a while now.  Could that be the reason that he still didn’t seem to like Lee?

“This is…ridiculous, Zoe.”

“I knew you were going to say that,” I whispered.  “You think it’s ridiculous, but I don’t.  I…I can’t lose him, not when I just met him.  You said Momma was the same for you, that everyone thought you were crazy for loving a demigod.  Why are you being so hypocritical when you were the same as I am now?  You said you would always do anything to keep her safe and I’d definitely do the same to keep Lee safe.  Especially now.”

Daddy hadn’t been looking at me throughout my entire speech.  But when I said those last two words, his eyes snapped up to mine.  “What do you mean?”

I swallowed hard, leaning down to pick up the paper that had fluttered to the floor, and handed it to him.  That would be answer enough. 

***Well, that was an interesting two chapters, huh?  :)  It was short, but awesome!

Next upload will more than likely be Wednesday since my other class starts this week, so look for another upload then!

Comment and vote!!!1***