Chapter 2: News?

"Ugh. What do you want?" With dark brown hair swishing, Ember turned around looking at Conor. "Well, spit it out," She urged, looking at Conor's shock face, impatiently.

"It's in the news again," Conor said shoving the newspaper into Ember's face.

"Woah," Ember's eyes scanned through the newspaper, widening.

'Body of boy found at bottom of building, chopped up.' The headlines read.

How many times already?

"It's the fourth," Conor said as if he had read her mind.

"Hm. I wonder what this is about.." Ember frowned.

"A killing spree?"

"Probably." She paused for a moment, thinking. "Oh well, better get goin'. Don't want to be late for Mathematics."

"Ugh, that's the worst." Conor said, pretending to cover his face in pain.

"Hahahaha, don't be so overdramatic." Ember replied, punching him in the arm.

"Well, bye."

"Goodbye."

Ember walked on to her class, almost sprinting.

Looks like everyone else is already in here..

"Late again, Ms Harlyn, I wouldn't say that I'm surprised." Mrs Lawrence, the Mathematics teacher, said.

"Sorry." Ember replied, rushing to her seat, behind Terence.

"Now, where was I, before Ms Harlyn, rudely, interrupted me?"

"Wow, late again. I'm sure you're going to break last year's record." Terence whispered.

"Shut up." Ember relied, rolling her eyes.

Class went by with Ember daydreaming about random things.

"Today's homework would be reading chapter 13 of the Challengers work book." Mrs Lawrence shouted, trying to be heard over the school bell and commotion made by the students.

That was the signal for Ember's freedom. She heaved her backpack onto her back and stalked out of the classroom into the heavy crowds of noisy students..