Say goodbye

Even though Stevie claimed she had quit smoking in the 90's, she would have one or two occasionally when she was stressed out or going through something emotional, needing to somehow for the solution to the situation come to her, the nicotine helping her relax momentarily. 

It was rather chilly in the morning as she stood smoking in the balcony of her luxurious condo. It wasn't even 10 am yet, but she couldn't sleep, although, she was exhausted. Part of her wished to be alone right now, the other for Don to wake up and take her mind off things.

But he only came back to consciousness when she made coffee and brought it to bed, placing the mug on the nightstand while she got situated. Still with his eyes closed, he scooted closer over to her side, laying his head on her stomach, a weak smile on her face.

"Morning."

"Morning to you too, early bird. What time is it?"

"Just past 10."

"Why are you up so early?"

"Couldn't sleep, was thinking."

"Oh." He took her hand, bringing it to his lips. "Did... were you being a bad girl, Stephanie?"

"Oh stop that." She rolled her eyes, sipping her coffee. "Didn't you say it was erotic when I would take those long drags and blew the smoke out, cocking my head back, which was a perfect opportunity for you to kiss my neck?"

"One hell of a memory you've got." Don sat up, resting his back against the headboard, as he took the steaming hot coffee mug from Stevie. 

"You want me to go make you one too?"

"No, I'll have some later. Because now..." He put the mug back on the nightstand, by his side this time. "Now I want you."

"Do you know? You know I'm not a big fan of morning sex."

"You're telling me you won't be moaning and writhing under me, pleading me, and screaming my name?" He asked one after the other, his arm wrapped around her middle, his lips already leaving a trail of kisses from her throat to her chest. 

"Well, if you try really hard..." She trailed off, laying flat on her back, welcoming his weight on top of her.

They were gazing at each other while he caressed her body in all the right places, her chest rising and falling quicker, then she gasped, shutting her eyes, as he entered her without too much of a warning. Soon, the slight pain and discomfort were replaced by pleasure and pure need, as she held him close to herself, while he did everything he had learnt about her body in all those years, to make her feel good. Changing patterns from slow to fast and back to slower movements again, he had her biting her lower lip, as the sounds he was eliciting from her were getting higher and higher. Soon her whole body relaxed, as she let out a heavy groan from somewhere deep within, which was followed by quiet, almost, whimpering, as she didn't let go off him while he hadn't climaxed as well. 

Suddenly, she was so overtaken by emotions, she couldn't stop herself from crying, worrying him. He looked down at her, his eyebrows creased, unsure, unable to see through her, to understand what she was feeling.

"What is it? Why are you crying?"

"Because..." She swallowed uneasily, feeling her own hot tears fall from her eyes. "Because I have to say goodbye to you."

"Say goodbye as in..."

"As in we're over."

He sighed, rolling onto his side, as she reached for the bed covers to pull them up higher over her chest. "What made you decide that?"

"Because I'm losing him, Don. I won't have him back if I'm in this affair with you."

He didn't say anything for a minute, before reaching to take her hand, asking with such sincerity in his voice. "Don't shut me out completely? Let me at least be your friend."

"I can't do that." She said, shaking her head. "If I have you in my life, I will slip and I'll end up in bed with you again, I can't let that happen. I'm sorry."

He nodded his understanding and before long, got up and put on the clothes he wore the previous night, and without a goodbye left her, as she dissolved into tears once again.

Stevie didn't do anything for the rest of the day; didn't eat, didn't answer her phone, didn't even write. She just spent the time thinking, wondering whether Lindsey had already thrown her things out, called a divorce lawyer or went as far as getting back at her by sleeping with another woman...

Lindsey wasn't much different just that he had a companion - a bottle of whiskey, as he sat in the living room, in the dark, going over the past few years, trying to grasp what drove Stevie away, pushed her into another man's arms.

He jumped when the front door lock clicked, both worry and relief washed over him. He heard her toss the keys away, then her footsteps, as she passed the living room, not acknowledging him in any way.

He wanted to go after her and beg for forgiveness, but reckoned she wouldn't want anything to do with him, just like she was sure he wouldn't want to be around her after she confessed of her affair...