Chapter 13

Lisa:

I take time to think of something important, as the elevator carries me to the Arena. But, no matter how hard I try, my mind is blank. I try to think of Springfield, but the sudden pain in my chest prevents me from thinking of home or anything that connects with it. I can only focus on the Games, and the Arena. Is this what the Capitol has turned me into? As soon as I think this, however, the elevator stops. The doors open, and I am faced with a dark room. There is a spotlight in what I think is the centre; I can see a small platform. I'm confused. Why aren't I in the Arena? Out the corner of my eye, I suddenly see a dark whir whoosh past me. I gulp. This isn't the Games. Is it? I step forward. Hesitantly, I step onto the platform. All at once, several spotlights land on some other platforms. Standing on them, is all of the Tributes, all looking composed, at least on the outside. So, this is my Arena after all. 

This is my Arena, a pit of darkness, with only spotlights to guide my way. This is my worst nightmare. But, that's the point. All of the Tributes are placed in a ring, so we are all facing the centre of the circle. Another spotlight lands on the centre. The Cornucopia reveals itself, as well as all the weapons and supplies. On the roof of the Cornucopia, there is a timer. It starts to count down. 

60...

The hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

50...

I try and look for Millhouse, but my body is completely immobile. I cannot move.

40...

Dark shapes appear around the Cornucopia, and I don't know if this is my imagination, or reality.

30...

The shapes start to move, and I feel slightly dizzy.

20...

The shapes suddenly light up. They're letters.

10...

The letters float around, forming words.

5...

I still can't make out what the letters are saying, and my head whirls.

4...

I can hear a high-pitched ringing in my ears, and again I wonder if I'm imagining this.

3...

Miraculously, I stand still, and hopefully reveal nothing of what I am feeling inside.

2...

I get ready, and take my stance.

1...

I can read what the letters say now.

0...

'Happy Hunger Games'

I can hear a cannon blast, and we jump off the platforms.

All at once, I hear cut-off screams from slaughtered tributes. The Careers have started the bloodbath already. Squinting I can make out the shape of Nelson and the others. And I'm their next target. 

Suddenly, all the spotlights go out...