Chapter 30

Lisa:

Nelson pulls me up from the floor. We both know we need to get out of here. I grab my stuff, and wait for Nelson to put out the fire, and pack his things. He offers Terri's things to me, and I take them gratefully, stuffing them into my bag.

We walk off together silently, heading deeper into the tunnel. "Lisa?", asks Nelson. I look at the floor, and angrily wipe my eyes with my sleeve, cheeks flushing. Nelson repeats my name again, raising his voice. I turn to face him, my chin jutted out, and my head held high. "What?", I snap, glaring at him to shield my embarrassment. Nelson takes in the sight of my red eyes and flushed cheeks in one cold look. He rolls his eyes."You really are as stupid as Snake said you were. Crying over your enemy, really? I would of expected more common sense from your district partner!".

My temper rises at the mention of Millhouse, and I feel the blood underneath my skin starting to boil, forgetting that Snake's name was ever said. I manage to gain some self control however, and neither of us say anything for a while, leaving me time to calm down. I am never usually this quick tempered; Bart's the one that always picks fights. I wait for the familiar feeling of my throat seizing up whenever I think of my family. But this time, it doesn't happen. Curiously, I touch my neck, and frown. I don't know whether to feel relieved or horrified. I catch Nelson's face out the corner of my eye; he's smirking at me. I suddenly realise I've stopped in the middle of the tunnel, and I was staring into space.

My hand at my neck curls into a fist, and I narrow my eyes at the Career, hating him for being so unfeeling, and misunderstanding. For the first time in my life, I want to hit someone out of anger and frustration. Nelson starts to laugh and taunt me, tempting me to smack him, or worse. Before I can do anything though, a sudden shaking in the ground attracts my attention.

The floor shakes, and I sway on my feet, unsteady. I look over to Nelson, and see that he is as equally unstable as I am, but not as surprised. "What's going on?", I ask him, as the earth quakes again. He looks at me with amusement written on his face. "The floor's been shaking for ages now. You didn't notice it?". I shake my head. Before I can shout at him for being stupid for not bringing it up, the final, most powerful shaking sends me onto the floor, Nelson joining me shortly afterwards.

To my horror, the small earthquake has caused a crack in the ground. Small chunks of dirt start to fall into it. This happens more and more, and the floor starts to collapse in in on itself. Helpless, we slide slowly down into the crumbling abyss. We start to scream, dust catching in the roofs of our mouths, making me cough.

My legs reach the top of the hole the ground has made before Nelson's do. Horrified, I look up to Nelson, who is grabbing at bits of earth to hold onto; he looks as desperate as I am. I dig my nails into the soft earth, however this does not stop my legs from slipping over the edge...

A cry of terror passes my lips, but Nelson takes no notice of me, only intent on saving himself. My legs dangle in the air lifelessly, but the rest of my body is alive with the struggle to lift myself out of this.

My arm slips, and I almost fall, but just manage to catch myself in time. I look at the way my skin stretches over my knuckles, and feel the way the muscles in my hands are cramped with curling into the ground. I am not ready to die.

Something catches my vision. I focus more attention on it. I take in a breath quickly. A glimmer of hope flickers behind my eyes. A small branch sticks out from the earth. It looks about a few metres away from me. A long way to jump, but I will have to try. I gather all the power in my arms, and launch my failing body at the branch.

I don't make it. I end up sliding back down into the chasm. I let out a strangled sound of dismay. But I'm not giving up yet. This time I have my legs. I move my legs to a crouching position, stopping my descent for a few precious seconds. This time I centre in on my target more closely than before. Still concentrating, I put out my arms, and leap towards the branch; the last sign of hope.

My fingers wrap around the branch tightly, and I bring up my other arm to make a strong hold on it. I cling to the wooden anchor like a limpet. The earth slides down beside me, but I take no notice. I only think two words: HOLD ON.

Suddenly, I feel a pair of hands wrap around my ankle...