Chapter 27

Lisa:

My heart echoes in my ears, the irregular beat deafening me in my panic. I slowly drift away from the rock, face screwed up from the pain. I only realise I'm screaming when red-tinged water floods my mouth. A single tear slides down my cheek. The pain gradually spreads from my back to the rest of my body. My limbs grow numb, and my muscles grow weak. My bones feel as if they have been shattered and unsuccessfully stuck back together again with glue. I let my body glide slowly down the newly-formed river, my head barely above water. I close my eyes. The water is cool, so it provides a tiny relief from the pain. My mind lapses into a calm state. I have never felt so peaceful in years. 

"What's this one, Bart?", I ask, pointing to the silver-looking fish. Bart shrugs, "Mackerel." he replies. I know he must be getting bored, but for once he doesn't complain. I am old enough to understand where Mom and Dad are. Mom is having a baby, and Dad has to come with her. They're at the hospital. Left on our own, Bart decided to 'explore', dragging me along with him. We ended up at the Aquarium. Sneaking in without paying, I instantly found an interest in the fish, and I keep asking the names of fish to Bart. He answers when he can. I look around the tanks for what must be the fifteenth time, eyes wide and hands clutched to my chest. Bart trails behind me, sighing and looking at an imaginary watch. That's when a sign catches his eye. "Lis!," he shouts, grabbing my arm, "Look!". I follow his gaze. On the wall opposite, is a small, peeling green paper sign. In white bold faded letters, it reads, 'To the Sharks'. Underneath it is a small arrow pointing to the right. 

"C'mon! Let's go!", says Bart enthusiastically, oblivious to my horrified looks. I pull on his sleeve. "But...B...Bart...", I wail pathetically, and he turns to stare at me. "What?", he asks, confused. "I don't like sharks...", I say quietly. Bart bursts out laughing. "You drag me here, and I don't even get to see the Sharks?!", he asks incredulously. I look down at the floor. Bart huffs, and pulls me along anyway. I cover my eyes with my free hand. I stumble, and Bart snaps at me to watch my feet. I roll my eyes, even though he can't see. Finally, we stop. Bart lets go of me, and I hear him breathe in sharply. Curiously, I almost open my eyes, but then snap them firmly shut again. I don't want to see the sharks. Bart whispers, "You have to see this Lis.", but I ignore him. I don't want to see the sharks. I hear muffled gasps, as other people come in. I hear one man swear under his breath. Soon my curiosity gets the better of me. Maybe just one peek won't matter...

Slowly, I take my hand away from my face, revealing bit by bit the scene in front of me. I gasp. We have come into a dark room, with only the artificial light from the tank illuminating the room, and creating light patterns onto the floor in front of the tank. In front of me is a whole wall of water, separating the sharks and the people with only a flimsy-looking piece of glass. But it does not look like a tank to me. Inside the wall is even more extraordinary. Sharks of all shapes and sizes are floating around lazily, some of them turning to look at the people staring at them. It sends a chill down my skin when one of them turns around to look at me. I gaze at the shark, feeling that if I were to talk to it, it would understand. It would understand everything. In a way, this creeps me out, but in an another insane way, it's comforting. That's when I decided that animals connected with me more than any human ever would. That is the moment I decided to visit the woods outside the District Borders. 

I had forgotten Bart was with me, until he coughs loudly, and says, "Lis, I think we'd better be going.", gesturing to two angry security guards stomping towards us. I sighed regretfully, and took one last look at the Sharks, before Bart dragged me away again. We went home. I made dinner: Baked beans. We ate in silence, the house seeming empty, even with us in it. I washed up, while Bart watched TV...

Before I can finish the memory something stirs me from my unconsciousness. Something bumps into my head. I begin to be able to regain my senses. I start to hear voices around me, sounding as if they were shouting. I can feel the knuckles belonging to someone gripped tightly around the back of my jacket, the bones digging into my skin. I can feel myself being pulled out of the water, into the equally freezing air. I can feel my back hit the bottom of what I assume is a boat. The violent rocking and an high-pitched scream of another inhabitant doesn't soothe me in any way. The screaming dies down soon though, as the mouth attached to the knuckles holding me snaps at the voice. The person lets go of my jacket, and I sink to the floor of the boat. I shiver, and start to sob. No one comments on the sounds though. A mist of silence hangs over me and my rescuers. 

Hesitantly, I finally open my eyes. I wish I could shut them again. Most of what I can see is the ceiling of the tunnel, unshaped and bare. However, I can also see other two people in the boat. The one to the right of my vision has a sour pinched face, with a single blanket wrapped around their shoulders. I recognise the face. And she doesn't look too pleased to see me. It's Terri. The other face, also horrifyingly familiar. Nelson. I was rescued by the careers.