Chapter 18

"I haven't met you before," she said.

"Yeah, I'm new to security. Stepped up from one of the crews." She placed her phone in the pocket of her pullover and closed the door. He pressed the button for the elevator and they got in. No sooner had the doors closed than his hand jammed the stop button. She backed to the wall. In the instant she hesitated, he had her trapped between the railing attached to the wall and the full weight of his body. She tried to slow her mind to think what she'd learned in the self-defense class she'd taken on campus. She began to struggle and scream as she had been taught in an attempt to distract him and attract attention.

He raised his hand and slapped her across the left side of her face immediately grabbing her by her upper arms and slamming her against the wall. She knew she had to get to the emergency button on the panel, but they were further to the back of the elevator. He held her with one hand using the other to reach in his pocket. She managed to lift her foot far enough off the floor to ground her heel into the top of his foot. When he stepped back, she used all the strength she had to knee him in the groin. The moment he hit the floor, she took the opportunity to press the emergency button and began to scream. He seemed to be recovering enough to come at her again. She swung her fist and made direct contact with his nose. He fell back again as the doors opened.

* * * *

She began to shake in the small office where concierge had taken her. Jerry and Sam were there almost immediately. Jerry called their physician to meet him in her suite. When she tried to stand up she was too wobbly to walk. He swept her up in his arms following concierge to the private elevator. Two members of security and Harry were at the doorway waiting for Jerry to bring her in. He placed her on the sofa telling Harry the doctor was on his way.

She could hear the members of the security team talking about lockdown. Phones were ringing and buzzing. She tried to focus on Harry who was kneeling next to where she was laying.

"I need to get up," she told Harry.

"Wait for the doctor."

"It's my back, I need to get up," she insisted pushing away his hand. She sat up reaching for the zipper of her pullover asking Harry to help her remove it. She gasped as the shirt came up over her shoulders. Harry could see the bruising spreading along one shoulder and into the middle of her back. The bruising on the side of her face was beginning to darken.

She could hear the walkies squawking as if far away. Harry had to steady her when she began to tilt a little. Her ear was still ringing from the slap. He wasn't sure where to hold onto her as the bruising of hand and finger prints began to show on her upper arms.

When the doctor arrived, he asked everyone to leave except Harry. "Can we remove this undershirt," he asked. Harry helped her pull off the tank-style white shirt leaving her in her sports bra. "Harry, do you have a loose t-shirt? She's going to need to shed the bra or you can cut it off.

Harry left the room getting one of his shirts. The doctor was busy taking something from the refrigerator, leaving the two of them privacy. Lillie was unable to remove the tight-fitting bra, so Harry took the scissors the doctor laid out and cut it up the back. He slipped the t-shirt over her head and helped her get her arms into it.

The doctor came back over with a bottle of cold water for her. "Lillie, I need to make sure nothing is broken. Is that okay?" She nodded. He lifted the shirt from her back and asked Harry to hold it up. As gently as possible, he ran his fingers along her spine, her shoulder blades and her ribs. He took the shirt and let it fall. He got up and sat in front of her checking along her cheekbones and jawline. "Nothing seems to be broken. The bruising concerns me though."