Chapter 30

She asked Harry to allow her to break her promise and begin sorting through the messages and texts on the way back.  She was forced to write some notes on her hand because she had nothing with her to write on.  Before she was finished, her palm was full and she'd resort to using the inside of her lower arm.  She had managed to get through most of the texts when they pulled in the driveway.  Before he could say anything, she jumped out the car and took off for the house to get her laptop and some supplies.

"Hello," he said to his family when he walked in with the bags and cooler.  "Where's Lillie?"

"In one of the guest rooms, something about needing to find a file right away," said his mother.

"Great.  I have a feeling we won't be seeing much of her for the rest of the day.  Unfortunately, I have an unexpected meeting at Modest.  I'll let her know and then I have to be going."

"We're meeting some friends for a late lunch.  Gemma stayed with a couple of friends last night.  I'm not sure when she'll be back."

"We'll have dinner together later.  I love you, Mum."

"I love you too," she said giving him a kiss on the cheek.

He found Lillie busily copying the notes from her hand and arm to a writing pad.  "Love, I have a meeting at Modest.  Do you need anything before I go?"

"No.  Thank you.  I'll see you in a while," she said not even looking in his direction.

That didn't work for him he thought.  He walked up behind the desk chair and slowly spun it so she was facing him.

"I'll see you in a while?  What is that?  Give me a proper goodbye," he said pulling her to her feet.  She placed her arms around his neck pulling him down to kiss her.  After a few seconds, he told her to carry on and left.

Lillie busily prioritized the calls she needed to make.  She would mark off any related to a text she had already sent.  The first call had to do with a request for her to make a brief appearance with someone from the New York City police department to thank those who worked so diligently to capture the man responsible for her attack.  They wanted no incidents in Time Square.  According to the PR representative assigned to her, the police hoped to deter anyone who James might have contacted once they learned he was in jail.  Although there was no indication that he'd gotten anyone else involved, they told the public the investigation was active for the purpose of identifying others.

She called Brian to tell him she would do it.  Unfortunately, that meant leaving earlier than she had anticipated.  She heard her notification sound letting her know it had been added to the calendar.  They discussed another appearance on one of the national radio outlets that she could do by staying an extra day.  Brian scheduled that as well.  Her next call was to the art department who had finished the banner for social media accounts.  She had agreed to release a photo of her bruised face from the morning after it happened.  She was actually attempting to use her phone to look at a particularly pain spot she couldn't see very well otherwise.  On impulse, she snapped the selfie not knowing whether she'd keep it.

After sending the digital file to Brian, she called Sarah and her dad to confirm they had both received the news about James.  Both were relieved to know she wouldn't go to New York a potential sitting duck.  She chatted with each of them for several moments about what she would be doing in the upcoming days.  With love and promises for calls on New Year's Eve, she hung up and looked to see what was next on the list.

Harry knocked on John's door after saying hello to Karen and answering a few questions about Lillie.

"Come in," said John.