Chapter 16

Liam was waiting when Harry returned from making the call.

"Where is she, mate?"

"The hotel."

"Did you talk with her?"

"Yes."

"Is she leaving?" asked Liam.

"She said she'd be there when I got back."

"What happened? I thought you'd at least come to some understanding earlier."

"I screwed up."

"You mean you said something else."

"Yes, after the performance. She'd almost fallen from the tower which I hadn't seen. What I did see was her against James' chest and his arm around her waist."

"Jesus, Harry. What is wrong with you? Are you purposely trying to sabotage this relationship? You don't have the greatest record."

"I . . ."

"Listen, mate. I've been in your shoes. It will not end well if you don't get this under control. As far as I know, this girl has done nothing to warrant your distrust," warned Liam. "What do you plan to tell everyone?"

"I don't know. I'm most concerned about Lux at the moment. They made plans last night. What should I say?"

"Just tell her and anyone else that Lillie wasn't feeling well. James said she had leg cramps from being up in the tower in a confined space for so long. Say that," Liam suggested. "Get your act together, Harry. This girl does not deserve your unwarranted suspicions."

Harry called Lou to find out where she and Lux were. He wanted to talk to Lux so that she was prepared long before it was time to go into the park. Lou told him she and Lux were in his trailer. Before he could leave, John grabbed him for a meeting.

"Come on guys. Let's go."

"What the hell!" said Louis.

John closed the door to a small conference room.

"Zayn is on his way in. He'll perform tonight but beyond that, I don't know."

"What does that mean?" asked Niall.

"I believe you all need to begin to think about what you might do if he refuses to continue with the tour." Liam was anxious to begin the discussion immediately.

"I, for one, have no desire to abandon the tour."

Before they left the room, each had committed to continuing even if Zayn could not find it in himself to finish out his obligation.

* * * *

"Hey Lou. You guys still in the trailer?" asked Harry.

"Yes and Lillie's here."

"I don't understand."

"Lux called her asking where she was. When Lillie explained she'd gone back to the hotel, Lux begged her to come back to the park even if for just a little while. You know what a charmer she is."

"May I come out?"

"If you hadn't been an idiot, you wouldn't have to ask."

"Let me ask her." He could barely hear her. Lou had obviously covered her phone.

"She said yes," Lou told him. He could not get to that trailer quick enough. He double checked his schedule. There was a break for the next four hours. He'd make it count.

When he knocked, Lou opened the door. Lillie was sitting on the floor with Lux in her lap reading a book. She didn't look up or acknowledge him. Lux glanced at him long enough to say hello.