Chapter 22

He asked her to go to the master bedroom with him. Before he gave her the gifts he'd purchased, he wanted to thank her again for the commitment she offered in the form of the tattoo on her back. He simply couldn't think of anything more personal she could have offered. He could only kiss her neck and ear, whispering promises for when she was healed. She was flushed when he finished. He smiled at her as he led her over to the wooden chest at the end of his bed to sit down.

She had cried twice by the time she finished opening his gifts. He had given so much thought to his purchases that she was overwhelmed with emotion. She lifted the necklace on which the half heart hung to admire the teal and white diamond encrusted charm he'd given her in honor of her mother. He had given her a beautiful watch so she could stop depending on him to know the time. She had laughed. One of the boxes held a new lens she had wanted for her camera. An envelope included airline tickets to London for her and Sarah with an invitation to stay at his home there. He had saved the framed photo of the Hopi mother and child for last. A box of tissues sat nearby.

She had slowly pulled back the wrapping revealing the beautiful photo. Her tears had fallen silently onto the glass. He sat next to her quietly allowing her to admire on the one hand and grieve on the other. When she finally looked up, she pressed her forehead against his and placed her hand on the back of his neck as if to hold him there. Ultimately, he had shed a few tears of his own. He was filled with emotion knowing she'd be in his bed the following night and for several after that.

The watch was on her wrist leaving the tickets, lens, and photo to be packed in a gift bag. He took them into the living room remembering a loose bag there. He made sure they were carefully wrapped. When he finished, she was standing in front of the tree with her back to him. It would make such a beautiful picture. He picked up the camera he had used earlier to take family photos. He backed away and snapped what would appear on his Instagram account as a black and white of her admiring the tree.

His family seemed to have made themselves scarce. He texted his mother to let her know he was leaving to take Lillie home but would be back immediately. He pulled one of his jackets out of the hall closet to place around her shoulders to keep her warm when they went out into the cool night air. Picking up her purse, duffel and gift bag, he followed her to the front door. Once they were on the road, Harry was curious to know her thoughts about the house.

"So, what did you think of the renovations?" he asked.

"I like the way the kitchen is laid out. It was always and continues to be an important room in my home. The bar chairs around the large island make it seem really intimate."

"I thought that might be your favorite part," He said smiling. How about the master bedroom and bath?"

"The bedroom is beautiful. I can't say much about the bathroom until I try it out."

"So, a priority tomorrow evening? A shower? Maybe a bath?"

"What about your family?"

"Gemma is joining friends in the city proper. My mother and stepdad are going to dinner and a movie."

"And, did you have something to do with those plans?"

"Maybe," he said holding up his hand with his index finger and thumb bare millimeters from one another.

"Do we have plans?"

"Definitely," he said reaching over and touching her knee.

His hand rested on her knee for a while before his thumb began to trace a pattern that moved increasingly higher on her thigh.

"Do not tell me you have no idea you're doing that," she said reaching for his wrist. She didn't move his hand, simply kept it from climbing higher.