Chapter 26

Breakfast was lively. They laughed among themselves, at Gemma and Harry. Harry surprised Lillie by telling his family that they would be leaving in the evening to be gone for the night. He made dinner plans with his family since they had eaten breakfast so late. Harry and his stepdad were going to watch some football. Gemma suggested she, her mother, and Lillie do some after-Christmas sales shopping. When Lillie went to get her purse, Harry followed. He told her that he had opened an account for her and handed her the card. To avoid an argument, Lillie accepted the card knowing she wouldn't use it. Harry gave Lillie the keys to the Range Rover reluctantly. He was concerned that she might encounter eager fans. Gemma and her mother assured Harry they were old hands at dealing with any situation that might arise and would take care of Lillie.

The three spent the afternoon at The Bloc among throngs of shoppers looking for bargains. Lilly found a couple of things she liked. As she made her purchases, she took pride in knowing she bought them with funds from her personal account. She wasn't destitute for heaven's sake. She had photographed numerous events over the last couple of years, many of them good-paying jobs. They stopped in at the Starbucks for coffee. While they sat outside resting their tired legs, Lillie told Gemma and Anne about Harry having followed her here and how he'd outed her to her friends. Anne talked about some of his antics as a boy. It was late afternaoon when Lillie called Harry to let him know they were on their way home.

Having enjoyed left-overs from the evening before, Lillie excused herself to pack a bag. Harry came in a couple of minutes later throwing a few things into a bag of his own. Before they left, Harry packed a cooler with some wine and snacks kissing his mom goodbye. They loaded up the car and drove out to the cottage. He seemed in an excellent mood as was Lillie. They drove with the windows down since the sun had warmed the afternoon air. When they arrived, Harry followed the same ritual as before. Lillie admired the property she had not been able to see the night they'd come. It was secluded from the main road allowing residents privacy. Harry explained that it was set up to give the appearance of a bed and breakfast so that if people stumbled across it, they would simply assume that is what it was and be on their way.

She walked in to find it just as they had left it that night. She picked up pillows and blankets to tidy up before they decided what they'd do for the evening. They left all their electronics at the house except for their personal cell phones, but had silenced them and would check them only periodically and were not allowed to put in their PIN unless it was a text message or missed call.

He made some tea while she brewed coffee. They sat down on the couch sighing simultaneously. For some reason, they found this especially funny and managed to laugh over it for several minutes. They had been through so much in the handful of days they'd known one another. To just sit, hold hands, and chat was precious to them.

When Lillie got up to warm up her coffee, Harry realized she wasn't moving as stiffly as she had been. He knew she'd eventually heal physically, but he did want to ask her about talking with someone after the holidays. Their conversation about the hematologist had already gone badly. She told him she didn't want to have to think about the incident, to do anything connected with it while they had such a limited amount of time off.

She sat back down on the sofa much closer to him this time. Tonight was going to be as special as he could make it for her. She'd done so much for him and didn't even realize it. She had asked to come back here for a reason. He reached for her hand to run his finger across the band she'd agreed to wear on her left hand. How could something so simple give him a sense of security, ease his ridiculous jealous feelings? She had told Gemma she didn't need it but wore it because the ring was what he needed.

"I'll be back in a moment," Lillie told him. Harry decided it was a good time to open one of the bottles of wine he brought. He heard the bathroom door open and turned to give her a glass of wine. Instead, he almost dropped it. She stood there with her back to him looking over her shoulder. The black silk glistened in the light of the fire he'd started. Wide soft pink lace straps crossed at the back that dropped just below the tattoo. She turned around to reveal the most beautiful black nightgown. High above her waist the gown was trimmed in the same light pink. It was modest and yet the sexiest he thought he'd ever seen.