22. Anamagi drama^

My mind had gone blank with shock. We stood transfixed in horror, the cloak forgotten. The rays of the sunset were casting an odd, red light over the shadowy grounds. A wild howling was heard from behind.

"Hagrid," Harry muttered. Without thinking about what he was doing, he made to turn back, but both Ron and Hermione seized his arms.

"We can't," said Ron, who was paper-white. "He'll be in worse trouble if they know we've been to see him..."

Hermione's breathing was shallow and uneven. "How — could — they?" she choked. "How could they?"

"Come on," said Cole, whose teeth seemed to be chattering.

We set off back toward the castle, ducking under the cloak. We were walking slowly to keep ourselves hidden under the cloak. The light was fading fast now. By the time we reached open grounds, darkness was settling like a spell around us.

"Scabbers, keep still," Ron hissed, clamping his hand over his chest. The rat was wriggling madly. Ron came to a sudden halt, trying to force Scabbers deeper into his pocket. "What's the matter with you, You stupid rat? Stay still — OUCH! He bit me!"

"Ron, be quiet!" I whispered urgently. "Fudge will be out here in a minute —"

"He won't — stay — put —"

Scabbers was plainly terrified. He was writhing with all his might, trying to break free of Ron's grip.

"What's the matter with him?"

Harry gasped. Stalking towards us was Crookshanks, his eyes hungry.

"Crookshanks!" Hermione moaned. "No, go away, Crookshanks! Go away!"

But the cat was getting nearer —

"Scabbers — NO!"

Too late — the rat had slipped between Ron's clutching fingers, hit the ground, and scampered awayRon had thrown the Invisibility Cloak off himself and pelted away into the darkness.

"Ron!" Hermione moaned, while I ducked from under the cloak, and picked Gennie up from where she'd slipped.

We looked at each other, before following at a sprint. It was impossible to run under the cloak—it flew out like a banner as we hurtled after Ron, his feet thundering along as he ran at Crookshanks.

I was running fastest, overtaking Cole and Harry in my haste. Ron was just ahead of me.

"Get away from him — get away — Scabbers, come here —" There was a loud thud. "Gotcha! Get off, you stinking cat —"

Harry almost fell over Ron and me as he finally caught up. He was sprawled on the ground, but Scabbers was back in his pocket; he had both hands held tight over the quivering lump.

"Ron — come on back under the cloak —" Gennie panted, leaning against Cole. "Dumbledore — the Minister — they'll be coming back out in a minute —"

But before we could even catch our breath, something stalked towards us, as silent as a shadow—a pale eyed, jet black dog.

It was the one from Oxford park.

Harry reached for his wand, but too late — the dog had made an enormous leap and the front paws hit him on the chest.

Gennie shouted, and in a flush of fur and claw she was a wolf again, leaping at the dog, looking strikingly dangerous.

Ron was on his feet. The dog's jaws fastened around Ron's leg, and Gennie lunged forward, trying to tear the dog's skin. It threw her off as if she was a rag doll. Cole screamed as Gennie landed several feet away—but I ran after Ron instead.