25. Dementor's Kiss^

I'd never been in such an odd group (and I'd gone as the Powerpuff girls for Halloween one year with a few of my friends). Crookshanks led the way, with the three-legged race following behind; Gennie holding onto her father as Snape followed behind, floating like a weird puppet.

My brother and I walked with Sirius, who kept glancing at us anxiously. "I'll be free if we can turn him in."

"That'll be nice for you," I said.

"But I'm also — I don't know if anyone ever told either of you — I'm godfather to the both of you."

"Don't they usually have couples, though?" Gennie teased, nudging her dad. "Is there something you're forgetting to tell me?"

Remus rolled his eyes. "No, I just.... I was in a bad place after your mother died. And Lily and James thought it would be best for Sirius to be godfather in case... something happened to me."

"And well, if the two of you wanted a new home, I'm allowed custody." Sirius said, clearing his throat awkwardly. "I mean, I get it you're both happy in the homes you're in.... It's just an option."

"Are you serious?" I gasped.

"That's my name."

Igoring the pun, I felt my mind racing. While I did still love Jenna and Hollie, things were strained with both Mark and Lacey. Mark clearly had a problem with me leaving, and Lacey was sure to make things difficult for me in the summer....

And living with Harry at long last..... Waking up under the same roof as him, arguing over cereal and who could use the bathroom..... And Sirius is there with us, making jokes and puns as he burnt breakfast.....It sounded like a beautiful dream.

"What — live with you?" Harry said quickly, accidentally cracking his head on a bit of rock protruding from the ceiling. "Leave the Dursleys?"

"Of course, I thought you both wouldn't want to," said Sirius quickly. "I understand, I just thought I'd —"

"Are you insane?" said Harry, his voice easily as croaky as Sirius's. "Of course I want to leave the Dursleys! Have you got a house? When can I move in?"

"I'd love to, as long as the Oswin's didn't mind," I said happily. "I mean, I've always wanted to live with my brother, and you.... You seem awesome now I know you're not a mass-murderer."

"You want to?" he said, mouth agape. "You mean it?"

"Yeah, I mean it!" said Harry.

"Just don't be joking," I said sternly.

A bright smile broke out on his thin face, his eyes shining with new light, a new skip in his step as we made our way through the tunnel.

The grounds were very dark now; the only light came from the distant windows of the castle. Without a word, we set off. Pettigrew was still wheezing and occasionally whimpering. My mind was buzzing. I was going to live with my brother.

We were going to live with our godfather.... And as much as I loved Remus, his responsibility lied with Gennie rather than us..... I thought of the horrified look on Lacey's face when I told her I was living with the murderer we saw on BBC 1.....

"One wrong move, Peter," said Remus threateningly His wand was still pointed sideways at Pettigrew's chest.

Silently we tramped through the grounds, the castle lights growing slowly larger. Snape was still drifting weirdly ahead of Black, his chin bumping on his chest. And then -

A cloud shifted. There were suddenly dim shadows on the ground. Their party was bathed in moonlight. Glancing ahead, I saw Remus started to shake.

"NO!" Gennie cried, her face a mask of horror. "He—he didn't take his potion!" she turned to everybody. "Run. Run now."