Lonely Layers of Lace

Piece by piece, she peels back each layer until all of her scares and secrets unfold. So many things were left playing though her mind, so many things left untold. The moonlight shines through the window, casting shadows all around. Was she standing on sinking ground?

The clock slowly goes tick tock. She wishes she could make it all stop. She sits on the edge of the bed, wondering about love and sorrow as a million thoughts rush through her head.

She can feel the material gathering around her feet. She just hadn't been herself this week. She glanced in the mirror, her hair a mess, watching the rise and fall of her chest. Breathe in, breathe out. Rise and fall.

She wishes she could tear down all her walls. Minutes pass and  that turns to hours.

Twilight breaks and she realized she hadn't moved from the bed. She'd just been running circles inside of her head.

A tear falls from her eyes as the lonely layers of lace gather on the floor.

She had seen the smoke. She had seen the news. She was waiting for a call, a call she was hoping would come soon.

She had waited in their room, waited by the phone, waiting for proof that she wasn't now forever alone.

But the phone never rang.

He never called.

Fourteen years later and she still feels it all.