Chapter 5: Mission

Chapter 5

      I open the door to the office and I can hear Acacia saying, "were you raised in a barn? Don't you know how to knock first?" "You should be glad that I'm here." I walk to sit on one of the sofa. "What took you so long?" Travorson complains, leaning against the bookshelves.
      "It's only been 20 seconds," Quenis says, reading a file in the palm of her hand, "were you close to here? We couldn't find you before." My eyes immediately goes to the spread-out map on the coffee table. It's a map of Keins. "She must have been at the forest again," the Head Master says, unsurprisingly.
      "Forest? Why? Is she going to get wood?" Acacia's confusion including everyone in the room. "Where's Derek? I hear him through the call," I try to change the topic; unfortunately, today is not my day since the Head Master says," he has other things to take care of and also she sneaks outside the seal frequently since her excuse is that she's a werewolf." I'm annoyed that he actually says it aloud. "There's a training area for werewolves, too," Travorson suggests. "Too mechanical," I turn out his request.
      "We'll talk about that later. So, you three will have the first mission together to Shire town east from here. It's a remote area a couple of miles from the border. Gangs of other warriors terrorize the region for a while now. We have sent our warriors to end this chaos; however, that plan didn't work out, so we will try again and this time I'm certain that this will be a success." "It's a great plan despite the fact that it's a foreign area for us and how will we find them?" Quenis asks for the rest of us.
      "They seem to be reckless and just approach their opponents and Travorson will be accompanying since he has been there before," after the Head Master finishes, Travorson is surprised saying, "what?"
      "No objections. You will also make sure that they don't get into unnecessary fights.. with each other."
      So, we went back into our rooms to prepare and I change my shoes into something more easy to speed run in. Taking a black and silver strong steel sword with me including pistols which feeds off our energy than bullets, so it's very convenient to not carry thousands of bullets around. The train will leaving in 30 minutes from now, so I strap my weapons of choice onto my belt.
      "Come on! We're leaving!" Travorson yells across the dorm so loud that glass might break. "Lower your voice! We'll be out in a second!" Acacia's voice matches nicely which might also shatter glass or my ear drums.
      We have entered the engine train getting some looks from the passengers, but times like this, ignorance helps with that. We put our stuff that we brought above our heads. I'm sharing the seat with Quenis and in front of us is Acacia and Travorson. I cross my legs and stare out the window.
      People are bidding their relatives or friends with tears and other just share a hug probably thinking that they will return. The sky is sparse with airy clouds this time that would be ideal to lay down in the grass under.
      Quenis brought a book with her since it's a 4 hour journey by train. "So,... You're a werewolf? Full or half?" Acacia stops the awkward silence. "Half," I reply without making eye contact with anyone and keep looking out the window. "What's the other half?" Quenis curiously asks, her head lifts from the book. "Wizard." "Me,too." Acacia and Quenis say in unison and looks at each other.
      "Oh, that's interesting. You all are half-wizards," Travorson concludes. "But, my other half is demon," Acacia says which we later found out that he is also half-demon contrasting his human side. Acacia just looks away when he said that.
      "How about you, Quenis?" I asks since she seems quiet for a bit. "Oh, vampire." Her attention is not entirely in the conversation, but she manages to answer. "Oh, you drink human blood then? So, you might bite me?" Travorson acts worried, receiving twice hits from Acacia and Quenis on the head and I just chuckle at the scene.
      "No, that blood is too unhealthy these days." Travorson puffs a sigh of relief and Acacia laughs.
      Silence is now back, but looking at the view combats that for me. We're passing grassy plains with several heights of mountains in the background. Then we pass a small village living peacefully. A few cows spreads out onto the plains grazing the land.
      "Anyway since we discover that we are all hybrids, so who wants to start with something else? Like last names?" Travorson suggests which made us tense. Thinking whether it's a good idea to annouce our last names since most of us don't even know our birth family. But if not now then when? "Ok then, I'll start. Mine is Travorson Horizon." "My last is Léças," Quenis says looking at me since the last time I said something to her. "Wow, what a name and mine is Viola," Acacia says.
      "My last name is Thasha," I say and Acacia asks," like Thasha as in red wolf?" And I nod, "yeah, like yours is violet matches your hair."
      We chatted a while for the first two hours of the ride, opening up more to each other if we were to work together. The third hour, Acacia decided to take a nap and so does Travorson. So, Quenis and I stay awake. "So, I'm sorry for turning you down the last time you asked for my name," I apologize to Quenis and she smiles at me saying, "no, it's fine. It's natural to be defensive we don't know our families clearly." "But, it was still pretty rude to do that." Even though I'm hard-headed, but I do realize my mistakes if I ever make any. It helps us to grow as people and understand ourselves better.
      Quenis and I were having small talk dialing our voices down since the two across from us is asleep, but then an exploding sound and screams were heard.