Chapter 26 - Athena

Before them was a yellow and white door. It stood ajar, no light coming from within.

Helen and Alya walked in to see the hallway littered with papers, antiques carelessly turned over.

Helen called for Magna but there was no answer. They searched each room, looking at the courtyard last.

Magna was rocking in a chair fully absorbed in a vision.

Helen let out the breath she was holding.

Alya tapped her foot impatiently. "They aren't here. When she comes out of this I hope she's ready to do some talking."

They waited and waited. The sun was touching the horizon when Magna came back to herself.

Magna looked pleased with herself and without looking around she said, "Helen and Alya welcome to my home."

Alya pushed past Helen and took hold of Magna's robe. "Where is the girl?"

"I suspect she is on a train."

Alya waited for Magna to elaborate. "Going where?"

Magna looked at Alya, "I don't know, somewhere away from here."

Alya tried to calm herself, she let go of Magna and walked to the other side of the courtyard. "What am I missing?" She muttered to herself. She leaned against the wall staring at Magna.

Alya locked eyes with the old woman. She bore into her. Picking away at the layers of blank thought until she found a weak spot. Slowly an image came to her mind, Athena.

That was all she needed. Athena was the goddess of wisdom. The girl needed answers and Athena would help.

Magna slumped and a trickle of blood ran from her nose.

Helen rushed to her, "What have you done?"

"What I needed to do." Alya made for the door, "I suggest you do the same."

"Where are we going?" Helen had to run to keep up with Alya.

"To visit Athena." Alya found a car and broke into it. "We will catch up with them there. If Athena knows what's good for her, she won't help them."