Chapter 33 - Short Circuit

Zeus heard water. It didn't take him long to find the main hallway lined with inches of water. It looked like it was coming from below. He rushed down to the cell where he was holding Cass.

He blasted the door open.

Water surrounded him, drenching him. He screamed in frustration. "If she has been harmed!" He rushed in the room and found it empty. "Where are they?!"

He was speaking to himself. He was alone in this endeavor. Hades and Poseidon had been with him on everything, until this.

He asked them to help defend against an upheaval of power and they laughed, telling him he was loosing it and to take a vacation. He'd see the truth eventually.

He did not take their advice, instead he started to watch Apollo with growing unease. The fates approached Apollo. No matter what he did, the fates would not share the knowledge they had imparted to Apollo.

When he summoned them to his throne, the conversation was less than satisfactory.

"It is done." They taunted him.

"What is? I demand you tell me!"

"We are not held accountable to you. We have woven into time; the balance is perfect."

They vanished, leaving Zeus with his anger towards his son.

Zeus saw the sunset hours ago, but now his island had a sunny glow to it.

"So you have found me, my son. Let us finish this!" Zeus made his way to the beach. He chose this island because the rock on which his fortress was built was impermeable to the gods' powers. Here, they were more like men. The beach was the only place they could use their powers. That is where he found Apollo.

"Father, I have come to talk." Apollo held his hands up in front of him.

"Don't lie to me boy. You have come for the girl."

"She is my daughter, I only ask that she is safe."

"She is far safer with me than with you. Why do this to her, do you know the trouble you have caused?"

"Is that what you think? That I caused her to have the visions?" Apollo took a step forward. "It was the fates, they wove her future. I had no say in the matter."

"Lies! You and your twin have been after my throne, you can't convince me otherwise."

"Then we are at an impasse father."

Athena and Artemis were running up the hillside. Both of them thought they were in shape, but by the time they reached the top they were out of breath.

Athena rested her hands on her knees as she drew deep breaths. "I'll start at the top. You come up from the lower levels."

That's when they noticed the water. Athena said "smart girl" under her breath. She ran to the stairs and made her way to the roof.

Artemis searched the main floor before ascending.

They met a few floors up. "No sign of them."

"Where could they be?"

That's when they heard a scream coming from the beach.

***

On the beach, Cass and Jake were waiting for their opportunity. The crept closer and closer to Zeus.

All of Zeus' attention was on Apollo, for in her visions he attacked first.

They were as close as they were going to get. Zeus had yet to pull the energy toward himself.

Apollo shouted, "What is your solution father? A fight?"

Zeus gave him an evil grin. "I couldn't agree more."

He started to pull energy to himself, Cass and Jake rushed at him. He never saw them coming.

Before he could dissipate the electricity they had hit him. The force caused him to stumble towards the water. He was in knee deep.

Apollo took this opportunity to blast him futher into the water.

Zeus still had the energy coursing through him. A scream ripped through the air as he electrocuted himself.

Apollo took Jake and Cass into his arms, and they vanished back to the cabin. Artemis and Athena did the same once they reached the beach.