Chapter 2 - Check mark

"Drop the gun!"

Now here they were. Trying to reminisce about that one night, but failing to avert their eyes from the body lying lifelessly next to the distressed man.

"DROP THE FUCKING GUN!" He yelled loud enough for Max to snap out of her mind and look back up. To look into the barrel of a loaded Glock pistol. His eyes were piercing and his hands were shaking, but did his best to hold firmly onto the weapon he had in his right hand. Never had Max managed to analyze so many details in just a split-second. The creaking the trees made when a hard wind passed by. The blood slowly escaping the wound of the body, painting the grass red next to him. The open area they were standing, bringing a sense of Agoraphobia. She could even see Chloe who stood to her left, but failed to hear a single word from her. Never had the silence from her blue-haired friend made her more nervous. It was a struggle to let go of the only protection she felt she had, but she finally managed to let loose her grip around the revolver and let it drop to the ground before her. Max could see that the man reacted, but kept pointing his own gun at eyesight with Max. He was shaking more than before while standing several feet away from Max and Chloe. These factors made the possibility of him missing somewhat considerable if he dared to take the shoot, but it was a risk not worth taking.

"I never meant for this to happen..." Chloe eventually whispered out with a shaking in her voice, yet her body remained ever so still. She was numb from the fear, or perhaps from seeing the consequences that these immediate actions had caused.

"We know, Chloe! But guess what? It's not over!" The man quickly aimed the gun at Chloe, but within the very second, he just as quickly pointed it back to Max, giving away what he believed to be the biggest threat. It was not gun... he knew about Max's abilities. About her power to rewind time. He did not want to take any risks.

"Ethan..." Max tried to speak out in hope of calming the young man, but other than his name, there were no words that came out. Instead, she looked precautionary into his eyes. It was difficult to tell that he had brown eyes, as his pupils were dilated to an exceptional amount, and if that was due to the lack of light in the cold evening or because his body was in a panic state, was hard to tell. Ethan noticed Max looking at him and decided to open his eyes slightly more, sending a look of concern and regret. He seemed just as scared as Max and Chloe, but did a better job at hiding it. It was inevitable that Max's eyes began watering. However, just as they did, Ethan blinked once, ripping away his look of concern and replacing it with a look of anger. He stared dead at Max with one of his eye being partly hidden by his messy, dark-brown hair.

"Why did you shoot him? Huh? Was he a threat?" Ethan attempted to speak out with a calm voice, refusing to advert his eyes. He looked tired, with small bags under his eyes and the dark stubble across his face.

Max slowly looked to her left, seeing Chloe's right hand that had a drip of blood working its way down her index finger, twitching every time she took a breath. Her black shirt was nearly spotted as a pattern of dirt had dried into the fabric. Her blue-hair looked faded in the brim light shining down upon them and her face was pale– almost completely white- with her lips showing a bright blue color. She could see she was about to break free from her numbness; a scenario Max silently begged not to happen, but it could not be stopped.

"Why the fuck do you think?! It was either him or us!" Chloe yelled out angrily, with small amounts of saliva escaping her mouth. She moved her head forward, almost threatening the man who was holding a gun.

"Did I fucking ask you!?" Ethan responded with hostility, but managed not to make the same mistake twice and kept aiming the gun at Max.
"There was no attempt to kill either of you! There never was!" He continued yelling.
"It was not either you!... or him," Ethan's voice nearly faded away.