Chapter 8: Sniffing

...I think I have a crush on my bestfriend. Shit...

They said, when you find out you have a crush on someone, everything changes. I would say I couldn’t sleep at night, I couldn’t eat and I couldn’t stop thinking about my bestfriend. But I didn’t. Everything remained pretty much the same.

But I did feel my face heat up every time Adam wrapped his arm around my shoulder. I noticed how my eyes lingered on him or certain parts of him like his eyes that were crystalline blue or his messy dirty blonde hair. There was a spike of excitement when he picked me up this morning. He was wearing this long sleeve V-neck shirt that was revealing a little too much of his sculpted chest. I whistled, “Nice shirt.” Adam smiled cockily and I just rolled my eyes. But everything remained pretty much the same.

Suddenly, a pen hit my forehead and dropped nosily on my desk. Massaging where it hit me, I looked at the culprit who was obviously feigning outmost attention to the lesson. I picked up the pen and hit his hand.

“Ow. What the hell, Jay?” He hissed, pouting.

“You hit me.” I stated, glaring at him.

“No, I didn-” I hit him again, this time harder. “Ouch!”

He glared at me.

“We both know you did it.”

“You have no evidence….” I raised the pen again, flinging it back to prepare and poise to hit him again. Adam cringed and moved back, raising his arms in a defensive stance. “Alright! Alright. I’m sorry.”

He sounded sincere enough but the grin on his face told me otherwise. I rolled my eyes. But then he got all puppy eyes and I couldn’t resist those puppy eyes before, even less now that I knew I had a crush on him.

I dropped the pen and gently grabbed his hand, kneading the sore spot where a hit him. I felt familiar tingling in my chest and my hands cooled down. That was absurd. My hands shouldn’t be cool. Plus, there was friction so it should be the opposite. It should be warm. Weird. . .

 “Hey. Do you smell that?” He asked as he lifted his nose to sniff the air.

I took a tentative sniff at my arm pit. All I could smell was my clothes’ fabric conditioner and I hadn’t sweat yet.

“Not that. It smells quite good actually.”

I let my hands linger, enjoying the feel of his hand on my mine. Adam didn’t seem to mind at all. He trusted me so much, almost blindly. I wouldn’t take advantage of that so I let go of his hands.

I shrugged, unable to smell whatever scent caught his attention. Adam sniffed again and sighed, dejectedly. “It’s gone now.”

The lessons flied swiftly that day. Although, Adam kept insisting he smelled that scent every now and then.

“What does it smell like?” I asked him during snack break. Adam crossed his arms, his brows drew closer and his lips are pulled in crook pout.

“It’s like... rain.” He said slowly.

“Rain?” Kurt and I asked.

“Uhm. You know when the ground is dry for a long time and suddenly it rains. Then, this smell is all around.”

“It’s not raining. How can you smell that?” Kurt said.

“I don’t know.” Adam shrugged. “Can’t you smell it?”

Everyone in the table shook their head, including me. Although I was there when Adam pointed out its presence, I wasn’t able to catch that scent.