Chapter Six

*BEEP* *BEEP* *BEEP*

Ugh, I hated that dumb alarm clock! I seriously needed to get an ihome or something so that I could at least wake up to decent music. If I won this show, I would have more than enough money to do just that.

You’re one step closer to doing just that, I reminded myself. I had won my Battle, which meant I was moving on to the Knockouts. If I could just get past the knockouts, then I would be in the Lives. That would be amazing! But I was going to have to work my butt off even more than I already had to do that.

On the bright side, since the Blind Auditions and Battles were still airing on television, we had two weeks before the Knockouts actually took place. Which gave me more free time along with more time to prepare.

It occurred to me that I got to choose what song I was singing in the Knockouts. I had no clue what on Earth I planned to sing- there were too many options! I also wasn’t confident on what would be a good song choice for a competition like this. I would have to get Adam’s advice on that.

My stomach lurched a bit at the thought of having a private session with Adam. It would be my first time practicing for one of my songs with Adam alone, and as excited as I was, it also made me nervous. I was so afraid I would screw up and embarrass myself somehow. I was good at doing that.

But either way, I still had time before I had to make a definite decision on that, thankfully. I wasn’t too great at making spur-of-the-moment decisions. I had to think things through thoroughly, which I suppose was both a strength and a weakness.

The atmosphere wasn’t so tense as it had been the day before when I got to breakfast. I guess the people still here were just glad to still be on the show. Especially those who had gotten stolen. Speaking of getting stolen, Peter was nowhere to be seen. Huh. He’d probably show up later.

The remaining members of Team Adam sat together. They were Elizabeth Hastings, Ivy Rivers, Jackson Crowell, Simon Johnson, Torie Walters, and me. Brad Freeman who was previously on Team Adam was stolen by Shakira, and Jessica Wild had been stolen by Usher. And of course, Peter had been stolen. Adam had stolen a really talented girl from Team Shakira named Christine, as well as a country artist from Team Blake named Emily.

Altogether, I’d say we had a really good team. The others were good, too, but I was probably the most concerned about Peter. The more I thought about it, the more I realized how great of a voice he had, and how easily he could beat me if he picked the right songs. But Team Adam was still eight members strong, so hopefully at least one of us could make it to the top.

Everyone was talking about their Battles. Some said it had been more fun than anything, others said they had just been incredibly nervous. I was a combination of the two. I explained to the others how I was super nervous at first, but lightened up as it went on.

“Oh, I thought that was part of the act,” Elizabeth said a bit sheepishly. “You started lightening up once Peter joined in, so I thought you were connecting it to the hope they have in each other in the song.”

I blushed furiously. That’s not what I had meant at all. But the rest were nodding like they thought the same thing. Is that what the judges had thought? Was that what of all of America had thought? Great, my second performance and I was already humiliated. Of course, no one else knew that.

Now that I thought about it, it probably did look weird seeing that I only relaxed when Peter came in. Like, what the heck was that supposed to mean? What did that say I thought about him? Well, seeing as I had no clue what I thought about him, that question was unanswerable.

Thankfully, I managed to get the topic of discussion off of me and the others talked about their Battles. Torie and Ivy said that they were just glad that their Battle partners had been stolen. I agreed with them, it lightened the guilt load quite a bit. I could feel proud that I won my battle instead of feeling guilty about getting someone else eliminated from the show.