Chapter Thirteen

This was bad. Really bad.

The clock on the wall counted down much too fast, showing me the time I had left until I had to perform. I was already dizzy enough from just walking today, I had only walked a little bit since I got put in the hospital. Forcing myself to recover so fast was making things much more difficult. I could only walk for about five minutes at the most without getting dizzy, so how the heck was I supposed to perform?

I had a constant headache and just felt really out of it. Today had been the first time I had practiced by myself without Adam, and without him singing along to help me, I kept messing up. Over and over. And I had a bad feeling that being onstage in front of so many people would just make that worse.

I tapped my foot as I sat on the bench by the door to the stage, the clock reading 3 more minutes until I was to perform. At least I’m not in heels, I thought to myself. I was in silver flats and a long, dark blue dress that I was really scared of tripping on.

As the clock hit zero, I stood up and headed out the door as fast as I could allow myself without getting seriously dizzy. In center stage was a piano, the only instrument we were using for this performance. The plan for me was to sit on the piano the whole time, as everyone on staff was now aware that I had been in a car crash and couldn’t overexert myself.

As I headed over to the piano, I shot a quick glance towards the judges and nearly froze. Adam was nowhere to be seen. He wasn’t in his chair. He wasn’t in Blake’s chair. (Although I can’t say I was too upset about that one.)

Well this is great. The one performance he really helped me with and now he’s not here. At least he can’t see me fail now.

Was he even allowed to be gone? Well, it didn’t matter, because he wasn’t here either way. I sat down on the piano.

“Psst. Beka,” I heard a voice whisper from behind me.

It took all my willpower not to whirl around, as that would look weird on stage. I glanced down, and realized that it was coming from the piano bench. And there wasn’t some random guy there. It was Adam.

“I would say break a leg, but we don’t need you hurting yourself anymore,” he joked, barely loud enough for me to hear him. “You ready?” he mouthed.

I nodded.

He started playing, and I began the song. “A drop in the ocean. A change in the weather. I was praying that you and me might end up together,” I started, and could just barely hear Adam quietly singing along behind me. He was here to help! I didn’t know if the show allowed that, but I’m pretty sure that my circumstances called for an exception.

“It’s like wishing for rain as I stand in the desert, but I’m holding you closer than most. ‘Cause you are my heaven.” I turned for a second and could see Adam’s mouth just barely moving as he sang along. Probably trying to be inconspicuous towards the cameras.

“I don’t wanna waste the weekend. If you don’t love me pretend. A few more hours, then it’s time to go. As my train rolls down the east coast, I wonder how you keep warm. It’s too late to cry, too broken to move on.” I listened carefully to Adam’s quiet singing to make sure that I was singing it right. So far so good.

“And still I can’t let you be. Most nights I hardly sleep. Don’t take what you don’t need from me.” My confidence in myself was growing at this point, thanks to Adam’s help.

“It’s just a drop in the ocean, a change in the weather. I was praying that you and me might end up together.It’s like wishing for rain as I stand in the desert, but I’m holding you closer than most. ‘Cause you are my heaven.”