Little World In Arden's

The drive to a previously undecided location was a loud one. It started with the debate on who's car would be taken, both Nate and Dylan's cars are on the brink of being eligible for a demolition derby. Dylan won with his puke green 1992 Chevy S-10 blazer that he calls old reliable for various reasons. It was then discussed who would drive for ten minutes while Demi and I argued about her top. In the end Dylan was driving there and Nate was driving back just it case Dylan got hammered -which we forced him to say would not happen-, and Demi wore a leather jacket to call it a day.

The night began with the car stalling before starting and dying a little and we all piled in. I sat in the passenger seat, Dylan's reckless driving jolting me to stops and starts so sudden I had no time to prepare for them. As I was jerked in all directions I thought about the recent events surrounded the dusk-time driver. It seems to me, he can be summed up as a person in his driving. Juvenile, rebellious, and erratic. Yet in the same way it's caring, but Dylan drives so fast it's hard to tell there is anything soft in him.
I was taken back, literally, by the sudden stop at a red light he had sped up to attempt to pass. Dylan cursed under his breath as the exercise equipment in the back settled, the weights slowly rolling to a stop and all the bars and pulleys of a picked apart machine found on the side of the road clicked together. I never understood his obsession with looking like someone from a Nike commercial.

"Where the hell are we even going"? Demi asked in a rare moment of silence.

Now, me being the dark person I am automatically thought, "hell, Demetria. We are all going to hell." Because , in truth, we are all sinners. I almost smiled to myself, but I found that expressing emotions coming from no where can make some wonder what is wrong with me.

"Not sure", Nate says quietly, "I was wondering the same thing".

Dylan ponders a moment and turns on his side, "let's go to Arden's". Arden's is a low key club, where bartenders do not pay attention to legit licences and you can have a good time without getting drunk off your ass. It's a place for the kid inside too, a small bowling ally, an arcade, and a dance floor with a DJ that runs off requests. I've been there a handful of times with various people, but I still wanted to see inside to look at the lights.

When we got there we piled onto the cracked, and in some places wet, sidewalk. The air we went into sourly smelt of alcohol, cigarettes, vomit and sweat. This is the atmosphere Dylan was living in. As we walked to the door, clots of girls were standing outside yelling at each other in a slurred language that could not pronounce English. Demi came up from behind and took my pinky in hers, "I don't know how I feel about this, Natalie. It's dangerous. Not only for us addicts, but you too".

"Calm down", I smile with a slight chuckle to pacify her, "this will be fun! We'll drink soda and bowl and play games and dance and eat. Just relax Demi. You can be so uptight, you know that?" I squeeze her and and she smiles in agreement.

"It's going to be a great night", Nate announces from beside me, "I can feel it".

When we walk in behind Dylan's tall frame, it looks like Dave & Busters. The dim lights with games and laughter everywhere, a drink bar and restaurant to the side. We are led through and around groups of friends and family until we reach the bowling ally, but do not stop, and journey into the dance and main bar area. I feared for my eyes. Coloured lights moved freely, lighting up random circles as they pleased. Something in the air or lights made the colour white become a glow stick and others took that whiteness and made it into flash-bang brightness, turning it on and of rapidly to the beat of electronic dance music and making every movement a robotic advancement. I felt like these were the strobe lights that can provoke a seizure to occur. Let's hope my eyes can handle it.

Dylan was lost in the crowd of intoxicated young adults before we had any form of direction. Using his extra inches, Nate got us to the bar, where we found Dylan sitting with a dark brown bubbly liquid in his grasp. Nate looked blankly at him while Demi looked pissed and I just looked at the drink and went for it. I expected rum and Coke, but what I received child's play. "No rum"? I shout over the crowd and music.

"No rum. Not a fan of that. I'm more of a beer and vodka kind of guy".

I sigh in relief. Large people have higher tolerance to alcohol. "No more than five bottles or five vodka glasses. We can't have you sinking into a hole you're hardly out of".

"Yeah, yeah". Dylan nods me off, finishing his Coke and calling the bartender.

"Listen you insensitive shit", Demi growls, "I have been way too subtle with you this whole time. Don't make it so we have to carry your ass home. Grow a pair and be here in both mind and body, not just one". Demi in general is a very attractive woman. Demi gets hot when she's angry yet motivational (who knew they went hand in hand?). Demi is scary and on fire when she's mad, yelling in a room full of toxins, and holding someone a foot taller than her down by a shirt collar. She's got a light in her eyes I didn't think she had. It seems to be connected to her arm muscles because as the light dies, her arm muscles relax.

Dylan looks at her blankly, straightens his shirt collar, and says, "I'm trying, but I can't just stop all at once. I'm not actually in rehab, I'm not you. I have to gradually ease myself off. I'm not my father like that. I don't get up and walk away forever, I get up and walk away but I always always look back to make sure I should and that I'll be ok". And then he left and went on to drink more than five drinks, but he was never more than buzzed.

We had fun, the lights, the games, the food, the drinks, all of it. Of course, while I had a drink or two, Nate had three, and Demi had none we all knew what was happening in the moment. We were everything to our little world, we were an eternity, an infinity or happiness frozen in those four hours in the timeline of history.
We didn't know what would happen down the road, and we certainly didn't know that the world we had built with a deck of cards would come to a fold
----------------------------------------------that's their moment, here is ours. My question to you the reader from me the author:
who is your favorite character and why?
Vote, comment, share, follow, I don't care whatever it feel in your bones.

Arden's was totally named after the ahs asylum Doctor lol