Chapter 3

MARK
I was led to a room. A bedroom-sized room, with a single desk in it. It also had 2 chairs. I was sitting in one of them. It took a few minutes, but a man walked in. He wore formal clothing. He had grey and white hair. He also looked as if he had just had a haircut. "Mark...it is a absolute pleasure, to finally meet you. I've heard the most extraordinary stories about you" he says. He sits down and extends his hand for me to shake, but I don't. "Who are you?" I ask. The man sighs. "My name is Jackson. I am currently the CEO of Gauge. Mark, are you aware of how long these Experiments led GENS have been going on for?" He asks. I nod. "3 Generations almost. Each Generation was 100 individuals, so 100 months would be around 8 years and times that by around 3, would equal 24, minus the fact we had another year until the fourth Generation, so 23 years" I say. Now that I do the math, the time in the Experiments seemed to have gone on for a while. Jackson nods. "Correct. How old do you think you are?" Jackson asks. I shrug. "16 maybe" I say. What did Jackson mean when he said he had heard stories about me?

"Gauge was founded approximately 26 years ago, by Isaac, who has sadly passed away in the Experiments. Isaac was around 40 years old when he entered. He was around 50 when he died. Before GENS captured him, to send in for Experiments, he made you the CEO. You were officially declared as the one who led Gauge into science. I know Isaac ordered the construction of the machine which initiated the Waves, but...you did amazing things, Mr. Appleton" he says. I raise an eyebrow. "Appleton? Is that my last name? Appleton? My full name is Mark Appleton?" I ask, smiling, as if it was a joke. Jackson nods. "Yes it is. But, Mark, you did the greatest scientific breakthrough of this century, which is amazing. Great effort. But it also started a war" he says. Oh great. "What did I make?" I ask, in a bored voice. Jackson smiles. "You created a micro-bot, you called a Walker, which you renamed after your girlfriend before the Experiments: Angie" he says. My stomach backflips in happiness and exhale a huge sigh of relief. So me and Angie were together before GENS stole our lives. Jackson continued as if I hadn't sighed. "The Walker could literally enter human beings, modify there genetic structure, control them and much more" he says. Oh brilliant. Jackson sighs. "But that's the catch. You started a war. Not a major physical war, but a mental war between human beings. No one could trust anyone, because that person could have a Walker in them, listening into private business, controlling them and much more. So, I am not going to tell you anything else" Jackson says, standing up and fixing his tie. I raise an eyebrow. "Why?" I ask. Jackson sighs. "System Voice Command 3359: Health Status" he says. I had no idea what that meant, but I started speaking something, without me doing anything, as if an external force was controlling me. "Stress and Anxiety levels are low. No major injuries. Minor ache in right foot and headache" I say. I lean back. That was some random voodoo stuff. Jackson's mouth twitches. "I just used a voice command for a Walker. GENS has a Walker inside each of their Experiment Assets. You currently have a Walker in you, which is listening to everything uhh hear and could be controlling you. So, first this first, we are going to take that sucker out of you"

ANGIE
I couldn't fight it. Before I could've done anything, someone stuck a needle in me and I was fast asleep in seconds.

But by the time I woke up, my head was hurting. But I was in shock...I could remember. I could remember my life. I start crying. I didn't want to remember. I liked who I was in the Survival District, not before that! I know I had Mark in both, I prefer the Mark after we were sent to the Survival District. We could've made a new life together, leaving behind our past, for good. The terrible past. But it had been done. I could remember. I could remember things that I will never forget.

GRACE
Me and Jason fell asleep early. But I had a dream. I think it was something before I was sent to the Survival District.

I was in a room with Mark. But Mark was young. Maybe 7-8 years old. He was angry. I was angry too. "WHY ARE YOU RUNNING THINGS? YOU'RE LIKE 8!" I snap at him. He punched me. "I DID STUFF BETTER THAN YOU WILL EVER DO! NOW TURN YOURSELF IN! GO WITH ISAAC! I WILL STOP THIS WAR, NO MATTER THE COST!" He snapped, saliva flying everywhere. It was hilarious, as Mark was 8 years old, talking to me. I was around 10, looking at myself. I sigh and storm out of the room, into a hallway, which resembled the hallways we were walking through to get to these dorms. The door shut behind me and I spin around. Mark didn't seem angry anymore. "Look, Grace, I'm under pressure...but I thought of a way to end this war" he says. I rolled my eyes. I was not in control of myself. My body was acting automatically. "Yeah, an 8 year old found a way to end a war. Jesus, Mark, 8 year olds can't run companies like Gauge, especially in these situations!" I growl. Mark bites his lip. "If it really comes down to it, I'm going to activate Project End" he says. My anger turned into fear and my eyes widen. "Do you dare! Don't you fucking dare!" I shout. Mark sighs. "Of you don't want to initiate Project End, you have three options: Gauge kills you, join GENS or just do your job and turn yourself into GENS" Mark says. I was about to shout, when I was awoken by a loud knock on the door.