Ch. 5

"And you don't have to make a sound,
'Cause they've got what'cha need."
-Everybody Loves Me by One Republic

I look at the building, seeing the plainness of the door and the rest of it. I didn't bother changing out of my sweatshirt, but I changed out of my sweatpants into some jeans. I had my hair pulled my hair back into a ponytail, fixing my bangs a bit. I felt a little ridiculous. I looked down at the ground before taking step towards the door.

When I stepped inside, the room only had a dark-wood desk and a couple chairs, the white walls blank, and there was no sign of the doctor. There were a couple doors on either side of the desk, both a light oak color. The floor was wood, seeming to be the same wood as the doors.

"Hello?" I call out from the main room. I waited a minute, hearing nothing. I go to the door on the right, seeing a long hallway with several doors; three were open from what I could tell. "Hello?" I called out once more.

"Second door to the right." I heard Dr. Lecter's voice say.

I walked down the hall to the door he said, seeing his back turned towards the door, shuffling through papers on a fairly tall, wooden desk. I stood in the doorway as I asked, "Y-You wanted to s-see me?"

He didn't even turn around when he answered with a, "Yes. I was wondering if you would like to have lunch sometime?"

Lunch? Now? With a complete stranger? Was he serious? I couldn't find the words to say, mainly because I didn't know what to say. I learnt from the few chick-flick movies I've watched that the girl almost always said yes on the spot. The hesitation wasn't even there.

Lecter noticed my hesitation, and turned around. He looked me up and down for a second, making me look down at the ground. There was no way I was going out to lunch with a stranger. Then again, it did sound nice. My cheeks grew pink at the thought.

There was a faint ringing sound. My hand instantly went to my jeans pocket, pulling my phone out; Zack's face was showing. Zack was one of my friends, and he was just overall strange. He would blurt things out and say whatever was on -or even not on- his mind with ease. He didn't think twice about things, and always seemed to be overly perky. Uncle Rob and him gt along perfectly.

I bit the inside of my lip as I looked up. "I n-need to take this..." I turned around on my heel and slide the answering bar as I walked out.

"Out of the many things I've heard over the years, I've got told by a lil' birdy that my introverted friend likes a guy." Zack's voice boomed with excitement and joy.

I rolled my eyes as I reached the main room. "Whatever, you stinker." I replied, stuffing my free hand into the sweatshirt pocket.

"Does this mystery man have my gracious looks?" Zack had pitch black hair that was cut to reach his ears, hazel eyes, and freckles across his nose. His skin was tanned to the right shade, and his face was oval shaped with high cheek bones. I've always been surprised he hadn't got a girlfriend that would put up with him.

"He-he's nice to look at." This wasn't a complete lie.

"You stuttered... You sly cat, you! I'm so proud, I can hardly stand it! I can just see it now, from the first date, to the honeymoon in Cancoon."

"Oh, shut up!" I squeaked a laugh. Again, him and my uncle got along famously.

"So, has he said anything 'bout a date?"

"Can you stop asking me questions?" I yelled as quietly as I could.

"Stop asking me questions, I hate to see you cry." Zack did love music. He was the music critic, always telling me what was good and what should be placed in a furnace.

"I'm serious!"

"Kay, fine." He laughed a bit at me.

There was a pause between us. I looked around the room before saying something to my friend. "He did ask me to lunch..." I look down at the ground.

I heard Zack gasp. "Really? When? Where? Why? Gimme details, girl."

"He-he... He said sometime but didn't say anything else." I answered, giving a shrug though knowing that Zack couldn't see me.

"He di-"

"Probably because I know a certain dude who interrupted-"

"You know that your Uncle Rob-"

"You know that I gotta get off now, right?" I was surprised I hadn't hung up on him already.

"Fine," He laughed. "See ya."

"Talk to you later, you brony."

"Oh! Stay away from Chipotle 'cause some people got sick in Washington, stay away from McDonald's because a hamburger is only necessary if everything else is closed, and defiantly don't go out to anything fancy unless he totally-"

"Zack, seriously, I need to hang up now."