Ch. 18

"So, don't look back,
The past has past."
-So Insane by Smash Mouth

We laid there in my bed, covers draped over our bodies. I was hugging his body, and his arms were wrapped around my shoulders. My head was on his chest, tear stains still showing on my face. Hannibal was playing with the ends of my hair, sending chills up my back every time his finger tips brushed against my back.

"It's getting late, darling." He looked down at me as he said this.

I looked up at him; I didn't want him to go, and I could tell by the glint in his eyes that he didn't want to go either. "Can-can you stay? F-for the night?" My cheeks threatened to grow pink.

Hannibal smirked but pushed himself into a more comfortable position, and he pulled the covers over our shoulders. He turned to lay on his side, pulling me close.

"I'm sorry..." My voice was low and meek. "For... everythin'..."

He pushed a hair behind my ear, kissing my lips for a short minute. "You need to stop apologizing, darling, people would find you weak."

I brought my hand to his neck, kissing him on the lips before laying back on the pillow. I went to sleep knowing that he would be there when I woke up.

~

I tripped, falling onto the floor and rolling a couple times before I was able to stop myself. I leaned up, seeing the detail of everything before I had to continue; it was a fairly lit hallway, with the rug from The Shining and tan walls; the walls looked pretty banged up, with scuffs and dirt marks smudges everywhere; the doors were a cream color, off set by red door knobs. I looked back as I stand up, seeing nothing chasing but I press on.

Down at the end of the hall, I see Zack standing near a door; he was pale, contrasting against the black shirt he wore, and it looked like he hadn't ate anything in weeks. The door slowly opened, its insides dark and threatening. It pulled in Zack by the ankles, making him fall down on his chest and dragging him into nothingness.

I didn't know what my reaction was -I couldn't tell- but a new hall formed to my right. I looked down it before I started to walk down it. The carpet floor started to turn a cold stone floor; I noticed I was barefoot, with the stone starting to feel a lot like ice.

There was a door, and as I opened it, I noticed Mia was behind it, wearing a white no-sleeve shirt and shorts. Her face looked scared, and she was cut several places up and down her arms and legs; her blonde hair was bloody and was choppy; her white shirt had bloody spots all over it... It was awful.

A hole appeared under her, and she fell right into it. I screamed at the sight.

My eyes shot open, my body sitting up. My heart was racing, pounding against my chest as I tried to catch my breath. I was already crying when I woke up, it didn't surprise me. I wipe my cheeks with the back of my hand but let a few more flow. Hannibal sat up, and before even I realized it, he had already had me in his lap like many times before.

"Your hands are freezing." His voice was as soft as earlier. I hadn't really noticed my hands.

He took my hands in his and put them under his shirt; this instantly made my cheeks blush. Even after spending months with him, I was still blushing every time with the newest action. I laid my head down on his chest, feeling his heat warm my hands up.

"Do you to talk about it?" He asked, waiting for for me to reply.

No, I do not. I thought to myself as bit the inside of my lip. I didn't even want to start; not only was it about Zack, it was about Mia, too. It was like someone was denying me friendship. I take in a staggered breath in, a tear welling in my eye.

"Forget about it..." Hannibal murmured, cupping my face, taking his thumb and wiping away the tear that was falling. I felt safe, and I didn't want to be out of his arms. I let out a small smile appear on my face.

We laid there for a long time with silence filling the air. My eyes fluttered shut, and I drifted into a state between fully awake and fully asleep. My sense of thought was still there, and before too long, I woke myself back up. I wasn't about to have another dream about my best friends possibly dying. Hannibal sat my body next to his, and I shuffled to laying on my side, retrieving my hands from under his shirt. He went to his side as well and pulled my body back to his. He kissed my forehead gently, giving me a smile after he did so.

I smiled back, my hand wrapping around his neck.

~

I woke up to the sound of someone banging on my door. My eyes opened to a squint, feeling the cold sheets underneath me, and seeing Hannibal start to wake up as well. I took the sheets off my body and started for the door. It was early in the morning and no one was suppose to come this time of day.

"Doors open, for Christ's sake." I murmured to myself.

I looked through the peep hole and saw Luke and Jason. Luke was basically jumping up and down as fast as a jack rabbit. I cracked open the door, looking my brothers up and down. "What is-"

Luke wrapped his arm around mine, pulling me out the door; I grabbed the doorway, pulling me back to my place. He shot me one mean look before softening by the slightest. He looked at Jason, and Jason looked back at him. "Do you wanna tell her?" Luke asked with a look that yelled something was wrong.

"What?" My eyebrows furrowed as I looked from brother to brother. Jason took a breath in, as if not wanting to continue. "Is there anythin' wrong with mom?" My eyes drifted to Luke.

Luke rubbed the back of his neck, letting out a nervous laugh. "Define wrong...?"

"She's in a coma." Jason crossed his arms. "She got in a car wreck, and the doctors put her in a drug induced coma."

"So? She didn't care 'bout me twenty-years ago, why should I see her now?" I lean against the door frame.

"C'mon, all you have to do is show up an' act like you care." Luke whined, bending a little before shooting back up.

"My big question is why y'all are coming here at this time of day?" I rub my eye as I ask this question.

"We drove all night to get here." Jason answered again.

"Yeah, like that's normal." I snap back.

[AN;; I'll try and get Ch. 19 written as fast as I can. X3 This is a small hit, but at least I know people enjoy it! Thank you all so much for reading, voting, commenting, and adding this book to you collection! I already have plans for two more books after this, with a chapter of the second book already finished. I know what's going to happen in the other two, and  I just can't wait to get them finished as well :3 ]