Ch. 8

"Young love,
Shaking the earth,
Like a heart shot out of a gun."
-We Run by Sugarland

[Amelia's POV]

My eyes fluttered open. I didn't feel a presence, meaning that Dr. Lecter wasn't there. I stayed there for a minute, eyes flickering around the room before falling on the nightstand on the right; there was a note next to my phone. I sat up and picked it up. Sweet dreams, darling? -HL. I smiled at this. What was I doing?

I picked up my phone and quickly checked it; Zack messaged me. His message was just him wondering what happened yesterday. I reply that nothing happened majorly besides lunch. Within a minute, Zack again texted me back.

Just lunch?? Call me, dawg

His number was on speed dial. "Y'all did not just have lunch. Somethin' happened, girl, an' you're not tellin' me." The first thing that came out of his mouth was this.

"That's it! I swear to it!" I lied. Zack was like a big brother to me- a nicer one at that. If I told him, he would get overprotective. My stomach twisted in knots as I heard Zack sigh.

"He didn't touch you anywhere?"

"Za-"

"Just- answer the question."

I rubbed the side of temple. "No." My voice was serious.

"Okay..." And with that, Zack and I bid each other farewell.

It was a couple days before school, and my mother had sent me my backpack with a couple notebooks with a check for a hundred dollars. It felt nice that she would do this, and I was lucky Luke, my youngest brother but still three years my senior, didn't send anything with it. While Jason, the oldest of the three of us, went off to a university to be a lawyer, Luke said that if I even got the chance of going to college, he would stay behind and look after our parents. It was odd for him to vow this, but he kept his end of the bargen so far when mom placed a card with a signature from her, dad, and him.

I went to the school today to get a feel of it. It was a Friday, and the staff allowed the new students to look around. The dean gave me my schedule, me sheepishly taking it and glancing though it. First, the dreaded Spanish one class; next followed psychology, psychiatry, and genetics. I had neglected to take Spanish my high school years, so this was what I was going to be stuck with. The dean luckily told me that I would only be going there once a week since my other classes were more important; as long as I get basic conversation.

The school was nice, having a small campus and good size classrooms. I couldn't say I didn't like it. It was amazing. My teachers were nice, and the other students greeted me with open arms.

The bookstore had the required books I needed for my classes, even carrying other notebooks, calculators, and required writing utensils. I bought some pens and different colored highlighters along with the text books.

I found my locker with ease, putting one of the notebooks in there. It felt empty, lonely. I made a metal note to print off some pictures of the people close to me.

I hung around the campus for a couple more hours, keeping to the halls and remembering where my classes were located and then some.

The walk home was silent. When the apartment came into view, a FedEx truck had just pulled up and was dropping something off. It was a slim box, and from I could see had fragile written in red. The mail man glanced at me, giving me a warm smile, before heading in. I followed; when I got to the elevator, I had to wait a minute for it to go up and return before entering. He must've taken it... I thought to myself.

I started down the hall as the FedEx guy went towards where I just came. I thought nothing of it; there was several people who lived on this floor, so one of them must've ordered something.

There was something in front of my door; the same package the man just brought... With a note... I stopped at my door, quickly glancing at Lecter's door before looking back down at the ground. What did he get me?

I bent down, taking the package into my arms and unlocking my door. I sat the package on the kitchen counter, slipping my filled backpack to the ground. I looked at the note first. School, eh? You may need this. -HL. Two notes in one day? How did he know that I was going to go to school?

The tape came off with ease; opening the flaps revealed that it was a laptop. A nice laptop. I took the laptop in my hands, the slim pc looking elegant and prestige. I didn't know what to think. Mostly.

I looked at my door, feeling that I should at least thank him for what he's done for me this far. Lecter bought me copic markers -which I still have yet to use along with my canvases-, took me to lunch, bought the lunch, and comforting me last night. Last night was special, though; I could hear his heart, feeling my own flutter when he took me into his lap. I fell asleep knowing he was there to protect me. And when I woke up, my heart dropped because he wasn't there. His body felt muscular, yet soft. He basically made me feel different. He made me feel wanted, welcome, warm, tingly, nervous, and happy all in one. Did Dr. Lecter feel the same?