Ch. 11

"Walking out the door,
I'm on my way,
Can you tell me
Just where I'm going?"
-Come On, Come On by Smash Mouth

I got out of psychiatry with a pair of headphones in and my sketchbook in hand. I had time to kill. I went to one of the table they had out for me. I started to draw... something. It started looking like abstract, and I wasn't proud of what I ended up with. It was something that I didn't really do, and I've never cared much for it.

I laid the pencil down and rubbed my eyes. I didn't get much sleep last night. I was busy thinking about everything that had happened so far; there was no way I could possibly put words to what I was thinking other than I felt pretty good about myself. For once in my life, I could finally feel happy by myself. It was something for Zack to make me grin, but I found a way to finally make myself happy.

The day passed with ease; I had taken notes in every class, and my notebook already seemed cluttered. My mind was even more cluttered when the clinicals started to go somewhere; several patients started coming, and I believe I was learning more from watching Hannibal than I was learning from school.

I got called out of genetics during the second week of school; when I went to the office, Uncle Rob and Zack were standing by main office door, and Luke was leaning on the wall, a grim look on his face. I could tell he didn't want to be here, let alone look at me.

My uncle explained that they were going to go ahead and help bring the couch. Zack added that this was his idea because he didn't trust moving companies.

I wasn't worried. Until they started taking the couch up the stairs. They asked where my apartment was, and Zack managed to put a couple dents in the wall since he was the one carrying the front end, deciding best to walk backwards. It would would have taken a super genius to tell him any different. He would probably ignore them anyways.

A good twenty minutes later, after getting the couch upstairs and having Luke and Zack had a yelling contest about how to get the couch inside, the light brown couch was just where I wanted it. I look at the time. I seriously needed to get going. "Hey guys," I say as I looked up. "I need to get goin'."

"Whaddya mean ya gotta leave?" Luke's eyebrows met in the middle of his face.

"She's got cli-"

"I gotta go to the library." I interrupted Zack before he finished. I neglected to tell anyone that I got a laptop from Hannibal. It was normal for a guy to get a girl something, right? There was nothing wrong with that.

Zack looked at me before nodding. "Yeah, that."

The four of us gave our farewell to each other. As I was going down the stairs, Zack came running down beside me. "You lying bastard!" He playfully punched me in the arm as he said this.

"Shh!" I hissed as I elbowed him in the side. "I didn't want Luke to know. Did you even tell Rob about me doin' clinicals?" I asked as we reached the bottom.

"All I told 'im was that you were at Hannibal's clinic." He answered, shrugging as he turned to face me. "What kind of a name is Hannibal anyway? It sounds like something an insane person would have."

"I assure you, he's not insane." I shook my head as I started to go out of the building.

"Maybe." There was a pause as he followed me out. "From what I know, you think he's cute." Zack walked beside me as I started down the street.

I looked over at him; do I ever get a normal day? A normal week? I want that for my birthday. Too bad I wouldn't get that wish for another three months. I look at the ground and blush. "I-I didn't notice..." I let out a small smile.

I did noticed, however, that Zack stopped. I stopped as well, turning towards him, my smile disappearing. "You kissed him, didn't you?" He asked, a even bigger smile coming on his face.

"I was-he bough-then-ugh!" I threw my head back. I didn't knew how to start! The butterflies were starting to form in my stomach from the thought of it.

Zack placed one hand on my shoulder. "Just calm down. I wanna hear this." He smiled a devilish smile.

I shook my head as I looked down at the ground. I pushed back a hair as I started to come out. I told my best friend from the copic markers to the obscure clinical position as he followed me to the clinic. "The kiss was amazing, Zack. Words cannot describe how it felt!" We were outside the clinic now. One patient was going in, giving me a hello before continuing.

My friend laughed at my enthusiasm. "Well, I'm-I'm happy for you."

Something about Zack changed after I told him the story.