How I feel

"What are you doing here Josh?" She says harshly.

"Well right now seeing if you are okay! You ran away and everyone is worried!" I say frustrated.

"And you care because..."

"Maya stop, what gives you the idea that I don't care? I care, a lot!"

"Josh stop, every time you meet a girl you instantly are interested in them when I have been here the whole time."

"Maya..."

"No Josh! When I was in that museum I saw everything I want. There are beautiful colors with beautiful families, friends, and always the painting of the couple holding hands. I'm never going to get that! Ever!" She starts crying, I hug her, at first she is stiff, then she melts in. "When I pretended to be Riley, I felt how Riley felt. It seemed like they were brother and sister to me, but now I don't know what they are. Riley insisted they are but something is wrong, I like Lucas, but I think he likes Riley, he said he thinks of me as a sister."

"I am so confused, I kinda thought you liked me..."

"Well I did, but now I don't know. I guess I only kinda fell for his Texas ways, when I found out he got expelled, but that's not how he wants to be anymore. I think for the most part I liked just the thought of Lucas liking me. The thought of him being some bad boy, then when we go on a date he tells me some story about giving birth to a horse."

"He gave birth to a horse?!"

"I didn't see myself having a relationship like that with Lucas. I liked messing with him and tearing him down, constructive criticism like a-"

"What?"

"He is my brother!"

"You just found that out now?"

"Yeah, I guess I'm not girlfriend material, just sister material, what did I see in him?"

"Maya, you are amazing, your fearless, your creative, and hilarious and beautiful," she looks up at me "Your also stubborn, hardcore, uncaring, mean."

"Are you supposed to be making me feel better or worse about my self?"

"You have liked me since I can remember, but I haven't been honest on how I feel..." She nods. "I like you, I like you like you, I've seen that every girl left me. When I found out what you went through when that Junior rejected me, I've grown to grow fond of you. Then I tried to move on at the College Party, it didn't work," her face lights up.

"But Maya, I am still way too old for you."

"Another word for I am not worth it."

"Stop it Maya, you know that isn't it."

"No I do! I'm not worth fighting for! That's it, you're gonna be a Senior next year and I will be a Freshman, wouldn't wanna ruin your image-" I can't take this anymore, I grab her face and press it to mine, softly and still.

We part and she looks memorized. I'm so tempted to do it again.

"Maya. Don't say that. I wish I could, you could not imagine. But not now, maybe one day, but not today, you have to stop, forget about me, find someone your age, forget about the long game, take the winner right in front of you," I know someone who also likes her, someone her age and that is way better than what I could offer her.

"Okay. One more?" I smile and we kiss again, lighter but still with as much emotion. "Goodbye Joshua, for now, friends?"

"Of course, I'll text everyone and tell them your coming home."