Seven

There were more frosted farms as far as Cam's eyes could see. She squinted into the darkness but saw nothing, the ice blowing and freezing her clothes. She began to feel fooled, tricked, as Arlo stepped in front of Jess and her and walked on as if there was some sort of treasury further beyond the deserted place. The car was parked and abandoned and she felt as if she couldn't leave it here; she had a feeling they might need it.

She caught up to Arlo and Jess, jumping hard as the snow reached her ankles. Frustration edged from the effort of it. Why was she putting in so much to get to, supposedly, nothing? She drew her hand back, jumped and hit Arlo blindly on the back. He was much taller than her, his legs much longer, as was Jess', and she found herself bending cupping her knees to catch a breath.

"Heh- hey. Hey..." she choked. Both of them turned their heads and she held up a finger as she got herself under control. It was surprising that they weren't panting as she was; she used to take regular joggs a few months ago, though she guessed a month doing nothing must have affected her fitness, which added to her frustration.

"You okay there, darling?"

"I'm okay? I'm okay? Do you two know that were we are right know is a backwash Podunk?"

Arlo looked confused, then his face twisted into a crooked, amused smile. "You mean backwater Podunk."

She waved her hand in the air with exasperation. "Whatever, I've never been good at geography."

That made Arlo's smile grow wider, his shoulders shaking slightly. He shook his head at her furious expression. "I think I like you."

"Come on," said Jess, her wild red hair trailing behind her as she carried on. "Just a little bit further, then you'll see." She was skipping in the snow, hands in the air. Arlo was trying to keep up in his black hooded cloak and Cam was stomping into the icy ground.

Cam didn't know how much time had past, but she felt her calves tighten in a way that she thought was impossibly painful. When she lifted her head she saw a distinct green line parallel to the horizon in the distance. Relief washed over her body as she examined it and found that it was a line of trees with a little yellow light, looking as if it was spat out by the stars illuminating the sky.

"Hey!" She yelled. "What's that? A forest?"

Her companions turned to her. "Yes," they said simultaneously.

"Jessica," said Arlo. "She looks exhausted. Maybe we should teleport?"

Jess nodded. "Hold my hands," she said to both of them. Arlo took it without hesitation, gripping her tightly. But Cam shook her head.

"Teleportation? Heavens no." She crossed her arms over her chest quite stubbornly to keep them from shaking out of fear.

"Thought you 'trusted' her." Scoffed Arlo.

She narrowed her eyes at him, then took Jess outstretched hand, watching her own fingers quiver. "Don't be scared." Jess gripped her damp hand tightly. "It'll feel tingly, but then it'll wear off as soon as you walk. Now hold each other's hands as well."

Cam held out her hand and closed her eyes as Arlo's calloused fingers wrapped around hers.

"Let's just hope my prostate gland won't end up back here as my uncle's had last time he did this." Arlo smirked.

Cam's eyes bulged out at that. "What!"

"Arlo!"

But they were already shimmering and deteriorating to Cam's shock. It felt like someone had dropped a gallon of glitter on her skin, and looked that way too. She watched in horror as her fingers fell away, nails beeing blown away as if she was made of dust. Her mouth opened, her teeth fell away, her hair grew shorter and vanished. She closed her eyes and prayed that what they were doing was not going to end up as Arlo had said it would. The sound of glitter and the feeling of her skin being dusted away disappeared, leaving a numb, tickling feeling, much like after pins and needles.