Chapter Twenty One - The Ending and a New Beginning

Bite your tongue 'cause they won't listen

We won't sit and die here
All that's dark will now turn into light
Power doesn't come from one
It comes from the whole nation

You will never cut into the sky

- Kisschasy 'Dissolution'

I was right. Vivian was the helper of Carl Nicolas – the Night Hunter. It appeared that he was sent away to a place that wasn't even on the map, a place created by a man that had the power to move the earth as a place to hold those whose powers get out of control. I laughed hysterically when I first heard that. The best part is, since his leaving – everyone's powers and gifts began to grow – mostly ours. Maxine can now move objects more than three times her size and weight. Lucida can turn almost anything invisible – including herself now. Angelo can go almost anywhere now as well. He even picked me a branch of cherry blossoms from somewhere in Japan. That was nice, it was on our first date. Jackson can pull any object that isn't tied down towards him and Alec is able to put an entire building on ice. And me? I can use my power easily now – I don't even have to say things out loud anymore. It's a little risky – but fun. The best part was, I could make my homework finish itself, but I never cheated – obviously, I never like doing things the easy way.

Jenny was a great Head-mistress for Winters Academy. She had the fence and walls demolished so that we could all go on any side of the school we wished to. There was nothing else that year that was anywhere near as interesting. Unless you count our graduation. It was the most fun I'd ever had. There are some points I try to forget about – especially the part where Alec and Max disappeared, that I try very hard to forget.

Maxine and Lucida came with me after the school year to San Francisco. They came with me to visit my parents' grave – the place I hadn't been for over 11 years.

"Was Carl Nicolas telling the truth?" Lucida asked me, "When he said you killed them?"

"No. My parents told me themselves I wasn't responsible for what happened to them. Anything they say I will believe." They told me it was alright – that even though it seemed impossible for my parents to come into my dreams and tell me all these impossible things – that they were still at my side – forever.

I've stopped taking all my pills. I'm medication free! This was a very good thing – since you can't be taking pills and have a job in my particular field. That's right – two years later and I already have a good steady perfectly working full-time job. I'm the boss of seven other people and I work in homicide, and Angelo's working with me. I don't see Lucida and Maxine much anymore – we mostly send e-mails, write letters and call each other when there's time. But it's all good. I know they're happy – they're with their family now, and no one can complain about that. They won't talk about Alec and Jackson, but I was sure when I called Maxine that I heard Alec complaining about accidentally kicking a chair.

This is the end of the story I had to tell. I must now embark on an assignment given to me and my Homicide team. The best and most frightening part about this assignment is, it's in New York.

But that is another story all together.

B