Chapter Eleven: Detention - In the view of Eva

A man's mind stretched by a new idea can never go back to its original dimensions.

- Oliver Wendell Holmes

Everyone followed me into the library, where we all sat down to talk about the next plan.

"So Eva, you do have a next plan, right?" Lucida questioned,

"Yes. But I think it might get us into some trouble."

"Can I share my idea first?" Max asked,

"Go for it." I replied,

"I had the thought that the killer has killed before the school started this year – we could hack into the-"

"I already had that thought. Sorry Max. There were murders but they haven't found even one suspect." Angelo looked at me strangely, did he think it was unusual for me to be so concerned I'd even hack into police data bases?

"And yet everyone in this school is a suspect – it's hard to even talk to the lunch lady and she's really nice."

"No other plans?" Lucida asked,

"Not one I want to follow up." She sighed, indicating I could continue, "We've never checked the cameras. Unfortunately they're for teacher eyes only. This is why we're going to get in trouble."

"For stealing the tapes?" Max asked,

"That too. But for hacking into a 'restricted to students' section."

"Lots of students go where they're not meant to."

"But we have to hack into it. There's no other way to get in."

"So, who does what?"

"Someone has to take the blame – and more than one, just in case."

"I'll take the blame – the detention teacher actually likes me, so she'll go easy on me." Lucida insisted,

"I'll join in. Teachers have been expecting me to do something wrong – they won't take their eyes off me, so this might be what I need." Jackson said, they seemed happy to do it.

"Okay. Then you two will take the phoney tapes with you." I began, "Max and I will hack into the lock and grab the tapes. Angelo, Alec, stay here."

"What?!" Alec seemed impatient and Max laughed, he has been getting the short end of the stick lately.

"Sit." I told him and he did so. The four of us got up and went to the worst part of the school – the teachers' area.

"I have a bad feeling about this." Max was mumbling when we got to the electronic lock. It required eight digits. Max was fiddling for a couple of minutes before she got it, figures it was the Chairman's birth date, 18041967. We walked in, followed by Lucida and Jackson, if they heard someone coming then that would be their cue to walk out and give us time while they got told off and sent away to detention. Max and I looked at all the CD's, the dates and all sorts. Max found the CD that should have the first murder on it. I found the second and she found the third. That would be enough. We were on our way out when we heard someone coming, a teacher. Lucida and Jackson did what they had to, they walked out while Max and I hid, the teacher caught them and sent them straight down to detention, that Mrs. Milliard would be down to supervise them shortly.

We had to hide for 13 minutes before we could move, and then we ran out as fast as possible – feeling incredibly guilty for Lucida and Jackson. Although, I had a feeling that they were happy enough they had detention together.

We walked into the library with the CD's in Max's hand and her laptop in mine.

"You got them?" Angelo asked,