Chapter 13: Talks & Things

Laura's P.O.V.  

I look at the clock. 5:15 pm. I have to be there in 15 minutes. "Do I really have to go? We can always reschedule, right? "

"Yes, you have to go. It's now or never.", Vanessa says. I guess I was thinking out loud.

"Well, I still have 15 more minutes", I say. I was hoping that me and Vanessa could have a conversation and then accidentally lose track of time. "But you're always early. They might suspect something if you turn up late."

I sigh, knowing she is right. I get up and walk to our front door. "Good luck!", she yelled. "Thanks!", I shout back. I hesitantly close the door, but not before waving goodbye to Vanessa. I cross the street and walk up to their front door. Just as I am about to knock, I start thinking. 

I can't do this! I'm not ready to face him yet! I don't knock. Instead, I run in the opposite direction to my "thinking place". It's this beautiful pond with trees and plants everywhere. It's where I do my best thinking. Does that sound weird? I hope not. 

I sit down on the bench that was close to the pond and start throwing rocks at it, careful, so I don't hurt any fish. I start thinking.

Was I over reacting with the whole Britney thing? 

*****

Ross' P.O.V

Where is Laura? It's 5:45 pm. She should have gotten here 15 minutes ago. She's never late. Ever. "Guys, I'm starting to get worried", my oldest brother says. We all nod in agreement. "Maybe she's sick?" Rydel tries to brighten our mood. "She was at school. If she was sick, she wouldn't have came to school." We tried to call her but no one picked up.

"Maybe we should go look for her. Something could've happened," mom suggests.  We nod. "We should call Vanessa first and ask if she knows where Laura is." 

"I'll do it," I say while grabbing my cell phone. "Hello?" I hear a familiar voice on the other end. "Hey, V. It's Ross. Is Laura there?"

"She left 30 minutes ago. I thought she was at your place." I can tell she's starting to get worried. My parents and siblings (including Ellington) all look at me waiting for me to explain what's up. "Vanessa, she's not here." My heart starts beating faster than ever. "Ross, start looking for her NOW. Tell the rest to split up and look for her. I'll do the same." And with that she hangs up.

"Guys, let's split up and look for her. Remember your phone so we can contact each other," I briefly explain. They agree and we all go our separate ways. 

Now, where would Laura be? Maybe I should go to the library and see if she's there. She does love reading and studying. As I'm walking there, I hear a noise from behind the bushes. I walk over to where it was coming from. I spot a familiar brunette. As I look around, I see a pond I recognize. Wait... This is Laura's thinking place!

I walk closer to the well-known brunette. "Hey," I say quietly. She slightly jumps and she turns around. 

Laura's P.O.V

When I see him, my eyes widen but I calm down after a few seconds. "H-hi." He sits down next to me. I look down on the ground, but I can feel his eyes on me. 

"You're late, y'know."

" I know. I'm sorry."

"Laur, what's wrong?" I sigh.

"Honestly, I don't know."

"You can tell me anything." I look up so we're making eye contact. "I'm jealous," my voice is soft and quiet. "Of what?" 

"Of you and Britney."

"Why are you jealous of her? Wait, is that why you screamed at me earlier at school and ran off into the girl's bathroom?" I slightly nod, looking down again. "Laur..." He puts his hand under my chin and lifts my head up. "You have nothing to be jealous of. I hate Britney." His hand is still under my chin. "Then why were you flirting?" 

"Flirting?" I nod. "Laura, we weren't flirting. She came over to me to tell me about the dance and so I tried to get away as fast as possible but she told me that she didn't want to go with me so I was relieved and we talked for a while." 

"About what?"

"Well...er... I-I can't tell you," he tells me with a lot of hesitation. I raise my eyebrows. "Why can't you tell me?"

"I... I just can't okay, you don't need to know everything!" I felt the tears in my eyes again. I looked back down. "I'm sorry, I just...." He trails off. I look back up to him. "Why were you jealous? You know I don't like Britney like that," he tries to change the subject. 

"I was jealous because...." Now it's my turn to trail off. Why was I jealous? "Because I like you," I admit. He immediately looks up from his lap. "You like me?" I nod, once again. I know that he already knows, but it probably means more coming from me."What were you talking about with Britney?" I change the topic.

"I was talking about how I wanted to ask you to the dance," he says quietly. "You... what ?"

"That's what I was talking to Britney about. And I know that you're probably going to ask why we were laughing so I'll save you the trouble. She was talking about  how excited she was that Derek from the football team asked her out and I was relieved that she finally got over me so I couldn't help but laugh with her." I sigh in relief. "So... Is that a yes?" He seems slightly embarrassed asking me this.

"Is that a yes to what?" I ask him curiously.  "Will you go to the dance with me?" He smiles sheepishly. "Of course I will, Ross." He grins and I can't help but do the same. "So what does that  make us?" He asks without hesitation. "I-I don't know."

He takes that opportunity to grab my hand. "Well, will you be my girlfriend?" 

"Yes."

A/N: This wasn't very long but I hope it makes up for all the time I haven't updated. I am so incredibly sorry! It's been over a month since I've updated. I hope I didn't lose any readers. Anyway, what did you think? They're finally together! 

(P.S. Feel free to ask questions cause I really like answering your questions :D)