15) Intruder

Luna-

Like before, Luna was back to normal. She doesn't know how long this will keep going. But Luna hopes it doesn't happen in public. Not to jinx it, she tapped on wood. She was superstitious about things like this.

Today, she wanted to go out to clear her mind. That means hanging out with Demitri. So she went straight to her mother for permission.

But she didn't even have to ask.

"Luna," her mother called from downstairs.

"Yes, mom," she was braiding her hair.

"Demitri is here!"

Luna smiled. She quickly braided her hair. She did everything in a rush and almost rolled down the stairs. Demitri caught her and laughed.

"You're that excited to see me," Dimitri chuckled.

"Don't flatter yourself," she pouted. "What are you doing here?"

"What can't I just come to see you," he pretended to look hurt.

"No," she played along.

"Ouch, that wounded me," he teased.

"I'll leave you two alone," Luna completely forgot her mother was there.

Once her mother was out of view, Demitri pulled her close and kissed her. She let out a soft moan.

"Let's go somewhere else," he suggested.

"Why can't we stay here?" She asked.

"I'd rather not talk here," he whispers. Could it mean he wants Luna to tell him about her problems?

"Okay," Luna told her mother she was going on and promised to be home on time. She didn't get into trouble; as much as Saito tried to ground her for two days, their mother said no.

She went and grabbed the coat.

"Let's go," Dimitri said.

"Where?" She isn't where they could have this conversation.

"I know a spot," he said.

"Okay," she held his hand as they began the walk.

She felt nervous. She wasn't sure how Demitri would react to her sudden change. Will he still love her? She doesn't want to lose him.

The walk to the spot wasn't far.

"Here," he said.

She gasped. She didn't know this place existed. The river was completely frozen over.  But it didn't look safe to stand on; she could see the water running beneath. And she spotted a few fish. She looks up; this spot is directly under the sun. Perfect.

"Let's sit," they sat on a flat boulder. It's smooth and beautiful. "So what's wrong? You know you can tell me anything. Are you having nightmares?"

"Um," she didn't know how to start the conversation. It's not like she could tell Demitri she's become a demon.

She doesn't want him to hate her. That is her biggest fear at the moment. She's afraid he will hate her. She clenched her hands so tightly that Demitri had to pry them open.

"It's all right," he kissed her hands. "Whatever it is, I'll be open-minded. I won't judge you. You are my soulmate; my purpose is to protect you, even from yourself."

How can he be so kind?

She opened her mouth to spill her secret when a horrific scream stopped her. It wasn't just one or two, but many screams. They sounded distant from the town.