Chapter XXXVI

※ ※ ※ ※ ※

They stood at intervals in the foyer, taking deep breaths and extending their hands, palms upturned as instructed.

"Good," Chronos praised. "Now, take another deep breath and focus on your inner self. Clear your mind of every thought and sound, and focus on your breathing."

Ben glanced around for a second, feeling slightly ridiculous. Bobby was frowning with concentration beside him, his eyes squeezed closed. The others also looked a little self conscious, but followed Chronos's instructions. After a few moments the room was quiet, except for gentle sound of their breathing.

"Now, when you breath out, focus your energy into your hands," Chronos said, crossing his thickly muscled arms as he waited. After several seconds, a flicker of blue flared above Bobby's palms, and the boy's eyes sprang open in excitement. He glanced up, checking to see Chronos had noticed.

The god have him a nod of approval, and the boy bounced excitedly on his heels, watching the swirling blue flicker and splutter as it slowly strengthened and grew.

Daphne gasped as the aether appeared in her hands, the translucent tendrils swaying gently back and forth in time with her breathing.

Dennis was the next to react, yelping as a giant flare suddenly exploded from his fingertips, as if escaping a highly pressurised hose. He got it under control after a few seconds, calming himself and forcing the energy into a more concentrated form. It was the brightest blue he'd ever seen.

Ryaki was the next to successfully summon the aether, taking a few deep breaths as the haze swirled around her palm and grew in strength, brightening as she stared at it, brow furrowed.

Rich's aether built like a flame, flickering in tongues of blue fire that flared from each fingertip. He watched it in amazement, experimentally scooping the aether from hand to hand until twin flames hovered in his palms.

Matthaios struggled to concentrate the wispy blue strands that shimmered weakly in his hands, frowning as it seemed to disappear into thin air. He tried focussing more energy, but it only flowed faster, dissipating at the same rate. He glanced at Chronos, questioningly.

The god made a cupping motion with his hands, not speaking in case he interrupted the concentration of the other Divines.

Matthaios mimicked the movement, using his hands to press the aether into a more solid appearance. To his surprise, it actually worked, becoming a swirling ball that could be directed by the movement of his hands.

This must be related to my mancer, he realised. The air is what shapes my aether.

He glanced across at Ben, who hadn't seemed to have moved for some time. The big Norwegian was glaring into his palms, two balls of blue glowing so brilliantly it made Matthaios squint. Ben looked up, that fearsome scowl of concentration still creasing his face. It quickly shifted into a smirk of sorts, and he tossed the balls as if juggling. They had solidified, it seemed, forming slightly odd-shaped balls that made a dull thudding sound in his palms as he shifted them back and forth

"Wow!" Bobby said, seeing his brother's aether for the first time. "Yours is like rocks, bror!"

"Mine are like rocks," Ben corrected, his quirked lips softening his words.

"That's what I just said," Bobby retorted, looking down at his own aether which had moved to spread across his hands and crawl ticklishly up his arms.

Ben glanced at Lissa standing nearby, his own eyes widening in amazement as he witnessed the columns rising from the tips of her fingers. The blue shimmered like liquid, dripping down her long, slim fingers as it ebbed, but growing into stalagmites that rose in terrifying spikes as she breathed energy into the blue haze.