Chapter XV

※ ※ ※ ※ ※

Ryaki was unprepared for the scene unfolding before her eyes. A tall, muscular man was towering over the other three guys, his fists clenched and brown eyes blazing with anger. He wheeled around, hearing her footsteps, and she recognized him immediately.

The fighter with the kid and the injured girl. Oh crap.

“WHAT IN ODIN’S NAME IS GOING ON HERE!” he bellowed. “THIS IS NOT  VALHALLA!”

She froze.

I think I missed something.

He was wearing nothing but the silken blanket from his bed, draped round him like a sort of toga. She gulped a little as he approached, the sheer size of him intimidating, especially in contrast with her own diminutive build.

Ben! What are you doing!?”

Ryaki felt a flash of surprise. Lissa?

The blonde girl stalked up to him and glared. He paused, and stood still, breathing heavily.

“Lissa!? Faen!” He slammed his fist into his palm and looked away, fuming.

“Will you just calm down? What are you so upset about?”

He glared daggers. “I died! And this is not Valhalla!”

Lissa clearly did not know what to say.

A rumbling voice diffused the situation. 

“I believe we have yet to meet, young man.”

Chronos stood several metres away, his stony eyes fixed on the tense features of the enraged youth. Ben surveyed the newcomer with ill-disguised fury, and then nodded curtly, his voice ringing clearly in the large hall.

“My name is Benjamin Jersverd. I am a follower of Forn Sior, the Old Custom of my people.” 

This just keeps getting weirder and weirder, Ryaki thought, her heart pounding.

“I don’t know who you are, but I’m not meant to be here. My faith dictates that I spend the afterlife in Valhalla.”

Chronos studied him expressionlessly, broad shoulders relaxed under his linen tunic. While Ben was only covered by the blanket from his bed, it draped handsomely over his shoulder, and he was clearly not bothered by it.

There was a large black tattoo across his chest, dark against his tanned skin and partially obscured by the silk cloth. He held himself with a fierce pride, and Chronos nodded in return, speaking slowly.

“I am Chronos, assigned to be your guardian for this period of time. I understand you have different loyalties, and if you wish to speak with your master, I am able to arrange this. But,” he said firmly, “Please hear me out before you make your decision.”

The two powerful men stood facing each other, the tension thick enough to slice with a knife.

“Ben?” A small hand tugged at his tightly clenched fist. “What’s happening?”

Ben glanced down, surprised, and then scooped up his small younger brother, crushing him to his chest, saying quietly, “Ah min bror, for en tid vi har hat…

                                                           ※ ※ ※ ※ ※

Daphne appeared in her doorway, looking beautiful in a wraithlike way, her skin white as snow and her dark brown hair flowing in glossy curls down her back.