Chapter V

Lissa held her head in despair. The lecturer had been talking for almost two hours, and her head was about to explode. The fluorescent lighting made her eyes ache, and the droning old man made her head ache, and her water bottle was empty, so her throat ached.

Ugh. I never thought University would be this boring.

She was falling asleep until something hard hit her square between the shoulderblades. She glanced back, startled, and then grinned. A cheeky smile stretched Jacob's face from ear to ear. She tried not to laugh, covering her mouth with her palm as he aimed another wrapped candy at her.

Eat them, he mouthed, winking at her. 

She rolled her eyes, and if the lecturer hadn't been sure to notice, she'd have thrown them straight back at him.

Cheeky idiot.

She grabbed her Holophone and quickly sent him a SMS. 

"You poisoned them. Not eating!"

A guffaw sounded from the area where he and the rest of their friends were sitting, and the lecturer paused in his droning to frown at them, before continuing.

"Of course. You talk too much. It's just a sedative to save us all."

She snorted very inelegantly. A suitably cutting reply evaded her. He sent her another message.

"At least you'll sleep through the rest of the lecture." 

She bit back a smile.

"Lucky me."

The lecturer called for a break, and she collected her things, moving up to where the rest of the group were sitting. They'd coming in late, so had taken the back seats.

"Lissa, Lissa," Jacob chanted, acting very immaturely. "You forgot your candies, dork."

"There's no way I'm eating that rubbish," she snorted. She was a vegan and only ate healthy food.

"Aw man, you're missing out!"

"Yeah, yeah. I'm missing out on diabetes," she scoffed, taking an apple from her satchel and crunching it pointedly.

"You guys are going to die an early death with all that junk food," she winked.

"At least we'll die happy!" Jacob pinched an imaginary roll of fat on his toned stomach. "And fat," he winked.

"You definitely need to diet," she agreed.

He looked hurt. "Really?"

She giggled, rolling her eyes. "Noooo, I'm just teasing."

Roger brandished his chicken sandwich, and he waved it under her nose. "Meat!" he taunted, knowing how much she hated it. "Yum yum!"

"Ugh, you're so immature, both of you," she muttered, hiding a smile.

I love these guys. 

                                                           ※ ※ ※ ※ ※

She spent the rest of the afternoon getting rid of her un-studious friends, and wrote up her assignment in a couple of hours. It was late when she curled up on her king-sized bed and wrapped herself in fluffy blankets, luxuriating in the silky night gown she'd just bought.