My Job

"It's done now give me the money." I say as the man inspects the mural. He wears a old leather jacket which makes him seem intimidating but once you get a good look at the guy he doesn't seem so bad.

"I don't know. This doesn't seem like your best work. Maybe we should cut it short." He says trying to take advantage of me.

"Look. Do you take me for a fool? You better pay the price or your 'business' sure will get put down. I promise you that." I reply coldly. He gulps and just like that his wallet opens up.

"Pleasure doin business with ya' " I smirk and cross the alley proud of my ways.

You see the job I do sure is dangerous but not if you do it right. I'm a street artist. People pay me for the picture they want and where. I wouldn't really call it graffiti more of a painting that gives a message for everyone to see even if they don't totally agree with it. Anyway here on these streets I'm pretty famous. I'm known as "the lone wolf" since in this business I ain't got no partner and I leave a paw print at the bottom of each picture. See you may be wondering why I talk like that to them, but hey in this business you gotta be able to speak their language or else they'll take what you deserved and never hand it over. These people are "gangsters" or "thugs" but if you take the time to observe them you'll see their just hurt and lost. My artwork helps bring a bright light to them which is why I do what I do. I earn about more than $100 dollars for each picture. Hey I need the money. You don't think that tablet and phone come cheap do ya'?

My family needs it.  If it wasn't for that there'd be no real reason for me to ask for cash.

-- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I arrived home and went straight to my room. I threw my phone and key on my bed. Took off my jacket and sat at my desk. I sat there just looking at the ceiling until my phone buzzed. I went over and picked it up.

Max :
Hey Casey here's your weekly update you asked for. We're fine & THX again for the gifts.  Aunt Megan is taking real good care of us and she seems to be able to handle the bills a little more. Cheri and Jake are great! They take us to the park every day and we alway have a great time. I think I'm getting good with soccer maybe I might soon be able to practice boxing too! Just like u. I hope your okay. I miss you.

I just smile with each word I read. I responded with...

'That's great pal & I'm fine. I miss you too. '

If I could say more I would but due to social services and the government I can't really have much contact with them. That's why I can only say a few words. I also can't be with them unless it's their birthday. Apparently its about making sure I don't take my anger out on them for everything and that I could use some space, but I think it's because of how their concerned about my parents influencing me and making my siblings the same.

Same goes for everyone else in the family. I can talk with them all I want, it's the "keep a safe distance" that applies to the rest. The fact that I feel worries the people that keep me away from them is I box. Yeah I'm a boxer. When my parents first started having problems I found myself in the gym punching all my anger out of me. I won a few tournaments but in my defense I didn't even realize I signed up for it. It won some prize money or it won something that I could give away for money. I'm proud I took up the sport because it's really useful on the streets.

Now if you excuse me it's time to get some sleep. The weekend doesn't last forever.